pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Draft Conservation Area Character Appraisals and Management Proposals: Phase II

Draft Conservation Area Character Appraisals and Management Proposals: Phase II

Colin Younger

08 Mar 2015 14:39 #1065

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

The Council has a duty under the legislation to put in place proposals for the preservation and enhancement of its conservation areas. As part of this duty the Council is reviewing the Conservation Area Appraisals and Management Proposals for its 22 conservation areas in three phases.

This means that the existing Appraisals and Management Proposals have come, or are coming, to the end of their five-year life span. Through the review changes in the conservation areas can be reflected and new plans put in place for their management.

As with the existing documents, there is a Character Appraisal and a separate Management Proposals document for each conservation area. The Appraisals summarise the development of each area and indicate what is special about them that should be preserved and enhanced. Management Proposals set out priorities for their management over the coming five years.

Documents for Phase I of the Review were approved by Cabinet on 11th February 2015. We are now consulting on Phase II of the review. The affected conservation areas and documents includes:

We are now inviting your comments on the draft documents for any of the six conservation areas forming Phase II of the Review in advance of a public meeting to be held at 7.00pm on Thursday 9th April 2015, Civic Centre, Silver St, Enfield EN1 3XA.

To make comments on the documents please do so by 5.00pm on Friday April 17th at the latest to the Heritage Team or by post to:

Heritage & Design,
Strategic Planning and Design,
Environment and Regeneration,
Enfield Council,
Civic Centre,
Silver Street,
Enfield EN1 3XA

Useful links

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Karl Brown

16 Mar 2015 11:48 #1066

There seems more to conservation than mere conservation. My response to the consultation is below. I wonder how wide the view of a wider view being appropriate may be.

Conservation Area Character Appraisals and Management Proposals Review: Phase II

Lakes Estate Conservation Area

Comment is sought on two papers.

As a near three decade long resident of “The Lakes” and a resident of one of the six houses always used to reflect a delightful visual appearance of the estate, I would suggest the draft text risks missing “the elephant in the room”.

Individuals invest to live on The Lakes, currently at a figure of roughly £1m, for a range of reasons; and it is of course such residents seeking to treat it as their home which is, and must surely remain, the primary purpose if it is to prove a sustainable area.

Considerable experience suggest that asking pretty much any nearby resident what are the “intangible qualities such as the sights, sounds and smells that contribute to making the area distinctive”, or perhaps more specifically, what they would expect to see in a comprehensive report that “identifies problems that detract from the character of the area” and they will inevitably revert to traffic – its speed, volume, noise and even smell. To quote some noise related comments supplied to Enfield Council by neighbours:-

• the noise element is immense – I am in a ground floor flat and if my sister stays overnight she has a very disturbed night’s sleep
• The biggest difference is the road noise
• the noise of the traffic outside keeps us awake at night and generally interrupts our sleep.
• My Father works nights – the traffic is so heavy during the day that he has to sleep at the back of the house

A similar, albeit larger, collection is available relating to sights (of speeding traffic) which cause these associated noise impacts. Approximately 590 vehicles per day are in excess of the legal speed limit on the road highlighted on the face sheets of both reports. (Covert data sourced for MPS May 2011.) It is not by any means a unique street on The Lakes which is widely prone to speeding and “rat running” traffic.

Enforcement of such behaviour is however absent.

There is no equity in an aggressive enforcement regime addressing only some (potentially) negative elements of The Lakes when a highly impactful influence to its primary purpose gets ignored. (Negative) Impact on the character and appearance, and of course liveability, of The Lakes by such traffic behaviour goes without saying. An individual speeding vehicle, or large wagon, and its associated noise / vibrations / community impact can be viewed as a “one off” but in reality the effects are aggregable, indeed are very likely to be cumulative. In that they are no less impactful to the overall aesthetic than highly destructive property changes.

The picking and choosing of only those items which risk generating a sub optimal public realm is not a balance I would wish to support. Rather I’d like a quiet, peaceful, green estate that preserves and enhances the high quality and undoubtedly visually pleasing built environment. Much experience suggests I am not alone in making such a call. It would be appropriate if the reports and subsequent actions planned reflected such reality.

Colin Younger

24 Jul 2015 22:45 #1414

The Lakes Estate Conservation Area Character Appraisal and the associated Managment Plans have now been issued.

The links are on the publicly available pages at www.pgweb.uk/friends-of-the-lakes-estate-conservation-area

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.840 seconds