facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: PG songwriters pay tribute to those Working on the Frontline

PG songwriters pay tribute to those Working on the Frontline

Basil Clarke

22 Sep 2020 00:11 #5580

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

[Original article]

working on the frontline

A new single written by two musicians from Palmers Green vividly portrays life on the NHS frontline at the height of the pandemic. Working on the Frontline was written by Kate St John and Neill McColl and is performed by BAFTA-nominated actor and singer Jessie Buckley and her band Jessie & The Leonards.

Every day I leave my home, get on the bus alone, walk into a danger zone and I'm working on the frontline
I've got to be cool, I've got to be calm, got to keep myself from harm, got to get my spacesuit on, working on the frontline.

If we're not careful, the Covid Frontline will soon be running through the country's hospital wards again. In the meantime let's not forget the people who battled to save lives earlier this year. The women and men who pulled out all the stops for us are still denied pay awards that recognise the nature of their physically and mentally exhausting and dangerous work. Among those paying tribute - and raising money - are some of the country's most celebrated songwriters and musicians, among them residents of Palmers Green.

The project, with all proceeds going to the RCN Foundation's COVID-19 Support Fund, has been curated by Squeeze co-founder Chris Difford, who has gathered together an impressive line-up of his musical friends to make the album Song Club, which will be released next month. The album, with all tracks recorded remotely, was inspired by the pictures taken on the Covid frontline by photographer Hannah Grace Deller, who's a nurse and worked at St Mary's Hospital as a paediatric matron at the height of the pandemic (on top of which, she's also a folk musician and "in her spare time" competes internationally in Shotokan Karate!).

hannah grace deller selfie in ppe"Selfie in PPE - Ghostly photo with a feeling of anticipation, which is how we all felt as Covid began"

The first song to be released is Working on the Frontline, written by two Palmers Green residents - Kate St John and Neill McColl - and performed by BAFTA-nominated actor and singer Jessie Buckley and her band Jessie & The Leonards. Hannah Grace Deller herself has a cameo role in the rap section, which she uses to make some pointed remarks.

hannah grace deller nurse funmike and phoebeNurses Funmike and Phoebe working together on the night shift on a Covid positive ward

hannah grace deller Jeremy PICU MatronJeremy, PICU matron (our children's PICU turned into an adult ITU overnight - Jeremy supported and led the team

The RCN Foundation Covid-19 Support Fund

“We are incredibly grateful to Chris, Hannah and everyone involved in the Song Club album project – donations to the RCN Foundation COVID-19 Support Fund will make a huge difference to the many frontline nurses, midwives and health care support workers who are continuing to make an invaluable contribution at the very forefront of the COVID-19 pandemic. Support from the project will not only help those individuals who may be experiencing personal hardship as a result of COVID-19, but will also help to address some of the psychological implications associated with working on the frontline at this difficult time.” Deepa Korea, RCN Foundation Director, RCN Foundation

Song Club - songs inspired by the photography of Hannah Grace Deller

song club album cover

The Song Club album will be released on 23rd October 2020.

Proceeds from the sale of this album go to RCN Foundation (Royal College of Nursing)

https://slinky.to/SongClub

1 Working On The Frontline - Jessie & The Leonards (featuring Hannah Grace Deller) 

2 For Us - Judie Tzuke 

3 Find a Way - Sara Douga & Gregor Philp 

4 Sunday - Julia Fordham 

5 Code Sunshine - Kimmie Rhodes 

6 Bittersweet - Komal 

7 Sick of the Sight of You - Bill Lloyd (featuring Beth Nielsen Chapman) 

8 We Can Breathe - Nick Heyward 

9 Invisible Smile - Beth Nielsen Chapman 

10 I See You - Graham Gouldman 

11 It Has To Be Done - Judith Owen 

12 If It Wasn't For You - William Rees 

13 These Times.…Again - Robert Vincent 

14 Hope We All Deserve - Roisin Donald & Mairéad Carlin

15 Hannah Takes Pictures - Kathryn Williams 

16 Six Degrees - Hannah Grace Deller 

17 Save Us All - Jeff Goldford and Jeff Cohen

18 Rehashtag the World - Ruby Dew 

19 Still With You - Mairéad Carlin & Ronan Scolard 

20 All Ashore - Charlie Wood 

All photographs by Hannah Grace Deller.

A new single written by two musicians from Palmers Green vividly portrays life on the NHS frontline at the height of the pandemic. Working on the Frontline was written by Kate St John and Neill McColl and is performed by BAFTA-nominated actor and singer Jessie Buckley and her band Jessie & The Leonards.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sue Beard

24 Sep 2020 13:25 #5581

I am super excited to hear that Kate st John lives in Palmers Green having seen the Ravishing Beauties them support Teardrop explodes and taped their live sessions on Radio One- Wilfred Owen poems set to music, and totally great. She often crops up on interesting projects

Karl Brown

24 Sep 2020 13:57 #5582

Interesting projects indeed Sue, catching me listening to Nick Drake a couple of years back I told Kate about attending a brill Barbican-based celebratory gig of ND’s musical legacy – a concert later screened on the BBC – to be told she curated it, as well as performing, and also Neill had taken on the task of learning Nick Drake’s tricky guitar style for the evening and was being him on stage. Top Trumped indeed! They like PG. Love this latest track.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.808 seconds