pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: 'I was hungry and you gave me food... I was a stranger and you welcomed me'

'I was hungry and you gave me food... I was a stranger and you welcomed me'

PGC Webmaster

10 Nov 2021 23:19 #6349

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

[Original article]

church times julie coleman headlinePalmers Green's "van-driving priest" features in this week's Church Times

I've already reported this week about the anguished question posed by local food support group Cooking Champions: "How can it be right that such a basic human need [to not starve] is not being met for so many in our borough?' And by coincidence a day later my saved search with Google for mentions of Palmers Green took me to an article in the Church Times about the charitable efforts of the congregation of St John's Church, with a photographs of big piles of items donated for Afghan refugees (contained in 5335 black sacks)

The article goes on to mention anti-social behaviour around the church (Rev Julie Coleman was herself attacked), the stock of suits that the church maintains to lend to job-seekers for their interviews, and the church's work to feed the hungry - the Ark, which provides 456 meals a week.

Volunteers at Palmers Green Mosque sort clothing donations for Afghan refugees

St John's and Cooking Champions aren't alone in Palmers Green in doing what the government seems to think is none of its business, and making sure that people don't starve. St Monica's Catholic church provides 300 meals a week. And another place of worship that is supporting Afghan refugees is Palmers Green Mosque.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'I was hungry and you gave me food... I was a stranger and you welcomed me'

PGC Webmaster

22 Jan 2022 19:58 #6350

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

The food bank at St Monica's church, run by Gerry and Jackie Bell, continues to support around 300 people a week (it's open between 2.30 and 5pm on Mondays).

At Christmas another project at St Monica's, "Help for Hunger", provided large hampers of food, Christmas treats and gifts to 600 families in Palmers Green and further afield. The names of the families were given to project leader Rosie Hurndall by schools, food banks, women's refuges, social services and community centres.

Read more on the Independent Catholic News website .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.672 seconds