pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Gambling arcade opposition gathers momentum

Gambling arcade opposition gathers momentum

PGC Webmaster

24 Feb 2021 14:16 #5900

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

[Original article]

A campaign opposing the opening of a 24-hour gambling arcade in Palmers Green has gained substantial support from local residents. By Tuesday evening, four days after its launch, nearly 2700 people had signed a petition to Enfield Council calling for a review of the gambling licence granted last month to a new branch of Merkur Slots in Green Lanes. The campaign has also attracted the backing of Enfield Southgate MP Bambos Charalambous, who has stated that he is "appalled" at the plans and has raised questions about the spread of high street gambling with the culture secretary.

Support and advice has also been provided by two local councillors. However, both they and the MP have pointed out that under current national legislation local authorities' powers to control gambling premises are very limited. Despite this, the group of local residents who raised the alarm last week intend to continue with their campaign.

stopmerkurslots petition

Wendy Sands started this petition to Cllr Nesil Caliskan (Leader of Enfield Borough Council)

As residents of Palmers Green, we are dismayed to learn that Enfield Council has granted a license to open a Merkur Slots gaming centre in the heart of Palmers Green High Street. We feel a slot machine arcade with a 24hr license will be detrimental to the area and will undo a lot of the positive work that local community groups have been doing to regenerate the high street and make it an appealing place for families to shop and access local amenities.

The planning and licensing application was made in December 2020 when we were in the middle of a national pandemic and Covid19 was at a peak. People were following government advice to stay at home and this drastically reduced opportunities for the community to be properly informed as the notices would not have had the amount of exposure expected in normal circumstances. Consequently, very few people would have been aware of the application for a 24hr gambling licence and plans for illuminated signage in the short time allowed. Furthermore, we feel Enfield Council did not follow the due process in respect of the notifications.

We feel we were not properly consulted or given a chance to raise objections due to the extreme circumstances of the pandemic and that this application has slipped under the radar unchallenged. We are proud of our local area and strongly object to yet another gambling establishment that we don't want or need. 

We call on Enfield Council to revoke this license and associated planning application with immediate effect.

#stopPGmerkurslots

The online petition, using the hashtag #stopPGmerkurslots, was started by local resident Wendy Sands and is addressed to Nesil Caliskan, leader of Enfield Council. It calls for revocation of the gambling licence and planning permission, which were both granted in January. The main argument put forward is that notice of the planned opening "slipped under the radar" during the December lockdown period.

As well as the high level of support for the petition, news of the new "bingo" licence led to a flurry of forum comments on PGC, unanimous in their view that the new arcade will be detrimental to Palmers Green. Many people have written to councillors in Palmers Green and Winchmore Hill wards and to Bambos Charalambous. Replies by the MP and councillors are summarised below and you can read the full text of what they wrote by clicking on the headers at the bottom of this article.

Bambos Charalambous: "A very unwelcome addition to the night-time economy"

In an email sent to the campaigners, Bambos Charalambous says he thinks that a 24-hour adult gaming arcade would be a "very unwelcome addition to the night-time economy of Palmers Green and would have a negative impact on efforts to improve and regenerate the high street". While pointing out that the Council "is restricted by law in its ability to limit the number of gambling premises and the type of representation which it can take into account when determining an application", he nevertheless says that he has written to the Council asking several questions, eg about the adequacy of the notifications prior to granting of the licence, whether there is any formal process for challenging the decision, and the extent to which the Council consulted with neighbours, business and community groups and the police.

Questions for the culture secretary

As well as writing to Enfield Council, the Southgate MP has raised the issue of the adequacy of consultation arrangements during the pandemic with the secretary of state for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS), Oliver Dowden. Additionally, he has asked him about when he intends to start a promised consultation with local authorities about possible extension of their powers to enable them to limit the growth of gambling premises in an area. This was a recommendation of a House of Lords committee report that noted that the “liberalisation of the regulation of gambling has led to an increased presence of gambling services on the high street”.

In the MP's view, "At a time when local high streets are facing huge challenges and the local community are keen to see their local economy thrive, enhancing the powers of local authorities to make decisions based on local needs is urgent."

Mary Maguire: "The council's hands are tied"

In her response, Cllr Mary Maguire, who represents Palmers Green and is also a senior cabinet member, writes that she has asked council officers for advice about the possibility of reviewing the decision to grant the license. But she cautions that "In many respects [...]  the Council’s hands are tied by the Gambling Act", which legallly requires Councils to "aim to permit" gambling premises, and so "is a fundamental obstacle to objections".

She adds that council leaders and other members of local authority executives are forbidden by law to intervene in planning and licensing decisions. The person who the petition should be addressed to, in her view, is the culture secretary, Oliver Dowden.

Dinah Barry: Gather evidence of problems

A second councillor who has written in response to constituents' concerns is Dinah Barry, from Winchmore Hill ward. Based on advice from a colleague, she suggests that an attempt to revoke the licence prior to the arcade opening is unlikely to be successful. Once open, however, the campaigners should gather evidence of problems caused by the arcade, eg crime and disorder or harm to children, but should wait at least six months before asking for a licence review, and then only if they have strong evidence.

More positively, her colleague thinks that "a close reading of the licence will show that [the proprietors] do not intend to operate 24/7 (even if they are licenced for those hours)"

Full text of responses by the MP and councillors

To read the full text of the responses sent to the campaigners, click on the headings below.

Reply from Bambos Charalambous MP

Reply from Bambos Charalambous MP

Thank you for contacting me to raise your concerns about the permission granted to Cashino Gaming Ltd, trading as Merkur Slots, to open a 24 hour Adult Gaming Centre at 292/292a Green Lanes, London N13 5TWhttps://www.google.com/maps/search/292%2F292a+Green+Lanes,+London+N13+5TW?entry=gmail&source=g. Since you wrote to me last week I have been contacted by a large number of local residents.

As you are aware, applications were submitted on 27 November 2020, with the deadline for representations being 27 December 2020. I understand that a Bingo Premises Licence was obtained on 4 January 2021 and Planning Application granted on 29 January 2021.

I am appalled by this development and agree that a 24 hour Adult Gaming Centre arcade would be a very unwelcome addition to the night time economy of Palmers Green and would have a negative impact on efforts to improve and regenerate the high street in Palmers Green.

The Local Authority is restricted by law in its ability to limit the number of gambling premises and the type of representation which it can take into account when determining an application. The Gambling Act limits the Local Authority to specific grounds to refuse a licence, which are that the establishment does not:

• prevent gambling from being a source of crime or disorder;
  • ensure that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way;
  • protect children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling.

Licensing Process

However I note your specific about the process by which the Bingo Premises Licence was obtained and whether the notifications, specifically the notice on the premises and in the Enfield Independent, were adequate and comply with the legal requirements of the Gambling Act.

I have therefore raised these points with Enfield Council asking for their response on:

1. Exactly what the requirements are for notices on premises and in newspapers and can it be confirmed whether these two limited forms of notification are considered to be adequate and compliant with the requirements of the Gambling Act?
  2. Whether the decisions made in relation to these premises be reviewed by Officers in the light of the concerns about the adequacy of the notification to the public?
  3. Whether there is any formal process by which local residents can challenge the process which resulted in these decisions having been reached?
  4. What activities a Bingo Premises Licence permits a business to undertake?
  5. Whether there are any outstanding applications in relation to these premises?
  6. In relation to the consultation conducted by Enfield Council can you please urgently provide more details on the extent of the consultation including whether:
    • neighbouring local businesses were consulted;
    • those living near and opposite these premises, including in flats above commercial premises in Green Lanes, and who would be impacted by a 24 hour arcade were consulted?
    • business groups, local community groups or residents associations were notified?
    • the views of the police were sought given that a 24 hour arcade may reasonably be considered as a potential source of anti social behaviour and disturbance

I must however stress that the legal restrictions placed on Local Authorities will ultimately restrict what action they can take. I have therefore raised further issues with the Government.

Covid 19 Restrictions

Another serious issue with this application is that it was made in a period that London was subject to additional Covid 19 restrictions and it is likely that very few local residents or neighbouring businesses would have been aware of this application. Indeed as only one representation was received by the deadline, this does seem to have been the case. Since local residents were made aware of the approval last week I have received a large number of emails and I note that a petition has had in just four days over 2,500 signatories objecting to this development, which indicates the level of concern in the local community.

I have raised concerns with Oliver Dowden MP, Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport about the adequacy of the usual notification requirements during a period of Covid 19 restrictions. I have expressed my concern that the exceptional circumstances should not facilitate an application which is clearly unwelcomed by many and in relation to which many local residents do wish to make representations. The normal notification methods, even if they were compliant with the regulations do not appear to be adequate as a means of notifying the public when access to the high street is limited and the circulation of a small local newspaper even more restricted.

I have asked the Secretary of State for his views on whether the normal methods of advertising a notice for an Adult Gaming Centre premises licence are effective during a period of Covid 19 restrictions.

Concentration of Gambling Premises

Concern has also been raised that four betting shops are already in close proximity to the proposed Adult Gaming Centre, resulting in a concentration of gambling premises in the local high street. Local Authorities have limited capacity to control the number of betting shops on the high street. Indeed the Gambling Commission’s guidance to Local Authorities makes it clear that there is an “aim to permit” and the Local Authority “should not comment on whether there is demand for gambling premises”.

In July 2020 a House of Lords Committee report on gambling harm noted that the “liberalisation of the regulation of gambling has led to an increased presence of gambling services on the high street” with the gambling industry driving that demand. One recommendation, which I would support, was to increase regulatory powers of Local Authorities to limit the growth of gambling premises in an area, including on the basis of objections from the local community and considerations of the character of the locality. This would be in line with the process for licensing premises for alcohol sale. At a time when local high streets are facing huge challenges and the local community are keen to see their local economy thrive, enhancing the powers of Local Authorities to make decisions based on local needs is urgent.

In December the Government in December 2020 stated that they would seek the views of licensing and local authorities on changes they would like to see to their powers. I have asked the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport to confirm me whether this consultation has commenced. If it has not, I have asked for the timetable for the consultation including when Government will report on the findings.

I will update you on the response of the Local Authority and the Secretary of State as soon as I am able and thank you for your help in bringing this to my attention.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

PGC Webmaster

24 Feb 2021 15:26 #5901

Support for the campaign against the Merkur Slots arcade has now been expressed by the leader of Enfield Council, Nesil Caliskan. She has provided PGC with a copy of a letter to Palmers Green and Winchmore Hill residents.

She explains that the council's licensing team did raise some initial objections which resulted in the applicant submitting an improved risk assessment. The council imposed some additional restrictions relating to staff training and prevention of underage gambling.

While the law prevents her from being involved in licensing decisions, she has been in touch with council officers about the possibility of reviewing the licence, which she says would require additional substantive evidence of problems.

The council leader expresses the frustration felt by local authorities at their inability to prevent clustering of gambling premises and encourages residents to write to the justice secretary asking for a change in the law.

Full text of letter

Dear Palmers Green and Winchmore Hill residents,

I am writing to you regarding the proposed Merkur Slots gaming centre on Palmers Green High Street. Many local residents have written to me and their ward councillors to express their concerns about the impact of this gambling venue.

I share their concerns and I am completely opposed to any new betting shops or gambling venues opening in Enfield.

Betting shops and gambling venues are a blight on our town centres. They encourage behaviour that has a negative impact on individuals, families and our communities. I want our local high streets to be safe and healthy, not places where people are encouraged to get into debt.

We want to rebuild our local economy after the devastating impact of COVID-19 and to help businesses and residents to thrive. I don't believe that allowing such gambling venues is the right way to re-open our high streets and town centres, nor are they a healthy option when so many families are under significant financial strain.

On 30 November 2020, Enfield Council received an application from a company for a premises licence for gambling at 292/292A Green Lanes. This company already has an operating licence from the Gambling Commission. The Gambling Commission is the national body responsible for granting licences for gambling companies to operate premises.

Once a company has an operating licence, it can obtain a premises licence provided they meet the mandatory legal conditions. This licence is governed by the Gambling Act 2005. This requires local authorities to ‘aim to permit’ gambling premises licences. In practice it is difficult for a local authority to object to such an application because if the application meets the conditions set out in the law, it must be granted. This is deeply frustrating to me and councillors who oppose betting shops and gambling venues.

The consultation period for this licence application ran until 27 December 2020. During this period objections could be made and all responsible authorities were notified as well as ward councillors.

The Metropolitan Police wanted alterations and additional conditions attached to the licence, including CCTV to be installed inside and outside the premises, and for the business to keep an incident logbook to be made available to the police when requested. The applicants subsequently agreed to those conditions.

Enfield Council’s Licensing Team was able to initially object to the application on the basis that they were not satisfied with the risk assessment completed by the business. The risk assessment was subsequently resubmitted by the applicant.

While the Licensing Team initially raised objections, the law prevented them from being able to refuse the application. However, utilising the limited powers we do have, Enfield Council attached additional conditions, including regular training for staff and making sure they follow the Challenge 25 policy to prevent under-age gambling.

Enfield Council can only refuse a gambling premises licence if the applicant does not meet the following objectives:
  • preventing gambling from being a source of crime or disorder, being associated with crime or disorder or being used to support crime,
  • ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way, and
  • protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling.

Due to national law, councils do not have effective powers to limit the number of gambling premises in the area. Enfield Council’s Licensing and Planning Team has tried to exercise as much control as legally possible in regard to granting licenses to betting shops, within the constraints of the legislation.

In the last few days, I have discussed with officers what steps would be required to initiate a review of the licence.

Additional substantive evidence would be required to demonstrate the objectives listed above are not met.

I can confirm that I am working with your ward councillors to collate such evidence. I am supportive of any options for reviewing this licence and oppose the proposed gaming centre.

I would like the licence to be reconsidered and for council officers to refer the application to the Licensing Committee. I would like members of the committee to fully consider the harm associated with betting shops and gambling venues when assessing the licence. As Leader of the Council I have no involvement in the regulatory decisions taken by the quasi-judicial Licensing sub-committee (or function). However, I will provide an update on this in due course.

Enfield Council, as with many local authorities, is extremely frustrated with its inability to prevent the development of clusters of gambling premises and bettering shops in their areas. It is not just Palmers Green which is facing this problem. Other areas in Enfield are also facing the same challenge of too many betting shops on their local high street. This is unacceptable. We will do all we can to oppose them in all parts of Enfield, but we believe that there should be a change in the law to enable us to more effectively control the gambling that is doing such harm to our communities. I would encourage you to join us in writing to the Secretary of State for Justice the Rt Hon Robert Buckland MP at to ask the Government to change the law.

If there is any other matter you would like to raise with me, please feel free to contact me anytime.

Yours faithfully

Cllr Nesil Caliskan
Leader of Enfield Council

PGC Webmaster

24 Feb 2021 21:55 #5902

A further message from the group who set up the petition:

"The councillors’ responses to objections by residents have not addressed the crucial point that we were not allowed to leave our homes (due to the pandemic), during the period of consultation, and therefore did not see the licence application notice and consequently were not given the opportunity to object. We urge them to respond to this issue."

However, this question was taken up by Bambos Charalambous MP - it was one of the points that he raised with the communities secretary.

Norberto Valbuena

25 Feb 2021 10:03 #5904

While it is appreciated that the Leader of Enfield council and other Councillors have inputted with advise on how they can't do anything and in principal object to this "blight in our community", there are two examples of applications that have been over turned from these gambling businesses; Thornton Heath Council and Harringey Council who actually refused Merkur Slots, so it can be achieved. "Nothing can be done" can't be an option here, this gambling operation should not be able to operate in our community, its not as if there is a shortage of gambling establishments in Palmers Green which is ridiculous in the first place. The application went under the radar at a time when for a lot of people could not get out due to Covid regulations. It was not to specification and this alone should be reviewed by Enfield Council. I do not know one business or resident that received notification of this application.
The premises Merkur Slots will trade out of sits in between two schools and right in front of a bus stop where kids come on and off buses and congregate and in very close proximity to McDonalds with an abundance of young impressionable children using it. Not to mention the vulnerable and those with tendencies toward gambling and those with gambling addictions. These places have a tendency to bring along anti-social behavior too as we have seen around Paddy Power. The law is an ass in this case and must be changed, hopefully Bambos can get traction with the minister. In the meantime if those who oppose this can sign the petition this will really show how the residents of Palmers Green will not tolerate this assault on our community. We want it stopped now and not wait until it opens, go through the pain to get evidence and we end up fighting their lawyers.

Chris Bryant

26 Feb 2021 10:12 #5908

I have written to a number of local councilors in regards to this matter and have thus far received two responses- one of which has been reasonably promising. However as others on this board have noted it does appear that the council's hands are somewhat tied.

Dear Mr Bryant,

Thank you for your email. I note and 1, too, share your concerns about the proposed gambling premises.
I have taken up the issue with officers and I am trying to explore whether it is at all possible to get a review of the decision.

In many respects, however, the Council’s hands are tied by the Gambling Act. There was a similar issue in Edmonton, but, again the law seems to be in favour of the gambling establishments.

Neither the licensing nor the planning framework provides Councils with very effective powers to limit the number of gambling premises in their areas, and many betting shops have been long established some time ago.

The fact that the premises were formerly a William Hill betting shop means there was no need for planning permission. The licence is granted under the Gambling Act. The licensing regime in particular legally requires Councils ‘to aim to permit’ gambling premises, and so is a fundamental obstacle to objections.

The licensing and planning team have tried to exercise as much control as possible of betting shops within the constraints of the legislation. Just about 15 years ago there were 80 licensed betting shops in the borough, there are now 75.

The Gambling Act has limited grounds to refuse a betting shop licence. They can be refused if they do not meet the licensing objectives – these are:

preventing gambling from being a source of crime or disorder, being associated with crime or disorder or being used to support crime,
ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way, and
protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling.

There is no ability under the Act to control the concentration (or clustering) of gambling premises. But, the Council has its statement of principles to try to control the impact of these premises, such as the impact on children, vulnerable persons and socio-economic indicators. Conditions have been developed to protect children and problem gambling.

I have seen the petition circulating from change.org and I would be more than happy to sign it if it were directed at the person who could change the law on gambling – ie. Oliver Dowden MP, Secretary of State or write to the Justice Secretary, Robert Buckland MP.

The Leader of Enfield Council, just like the Leader of any other Council, is not able to interfere in planning or licensing decisions – it is against local government legislation for any member of the executive to do so.

Best wishes,

Cllr Mary Maguire

Dear Councilor,

I am writing to you in relation to the baffling decision to grant permission for a Casino, owned by Merkur Slots, to operate on 292 Green Lanes in Palmer’s Green. I am sure that you are aware of the strength of feeling in the local community regarding this issue.

There was very limited opportunity for any serious public consultation on this proposal. At the time there was a nationwide stay at home order in place, preventing people from engaging in the decision making process. Having spoken to a number of my neighbours along Hazelwood Lane, many have said they would have engaged if they had been given the opportunity. The fact that we were unable to leave our homes meant that we couldn’t see the licence application notice, and as such were not given an opportunity to voice our concerns. Putting something as controversial as a 24 hour licensed casino into a residential area during a global pandemic is underhand and sneaky at best. At worst this is morally repugnant and a deliberate attempt from Merkur Slots to avoid democratic scrutiny.

I am not a legal expert, but my understanding is that a Notice of application for a premises licence needs to fulfil three criteria- Be at least A4 in size, pale blue in colour and printed in a font of at least, size 16. I believe that the screen-shot attached (which I took on 22/02/21) doesn’t meet two of these criteria. It doesn’t appear to be pale blue and equally I don’t think the box, which the text is housed within, is of A4 size.

You may be aware of a petition that has been launched regarding this issue. After only 6 days, 3100 people have signed this petition through Change.org. 3100 people equates to 20% of the population of Palmer’s Green. (The total population of the ward was estimated at 15,837 in 2019) Presumably this is over a quarter of the people on the electoral role for the area meaning that, by this measure, more than one in four people strongly object to this proposal, after less than a week. I’m sure that these numbers will rise in the following days but this does provide a strong sense of the disbelief and anger from local residents. Here is the link to the petition; < www.change.org/p/to-the-leader-of-enfield-borough-council-no-to-merkur-slots-in-palmers-green?recruiter=477981914&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial&utm_term=psf_combo_share_initial&recruited_by_id=10ca6900-c61d-11e5-93fe-d95df53c6b75 >;

There are two schools within a 0.2 mile radius. (St Anne’s Catholic Girls School and Hazelwood Junior School) and the proposed site is almost located directly behind a bus stop that school children regularly use. Gambling establishments of this nature are nearly always detrimental to the local area in terms of anti-social behaviour and the associated activities that accompany them. I myself have been verbally abused outside of Paddy Power, so I shudder when I think of the potential ramifications for parents and school children in what is a family area. Large numbers of impressionable young children regularly congregate outside of McDonald’s which is only a few shops along from the proposed site. This, combined with the fact that there are already a high number of gambling shops operating on Green Lanes is something that is very concerning for residents at a time when we are looking to rejuvenate our High Street.

My colleagues have raised the fact that a number of similar schemes have been overturned by pressure from the local community, specifically Thornton Heath Council, which in February 2019 overturned an application from Luxury Leisure after 1000 residents voiced their disapproval. Equally Harringey council refused an application from Merkur slots over similar concerns.

I am asking that Enfield Council reconsider this controversial decision. At the very least there should be a further period of consultation with the local community. I look forward to hearing your response on this matter.

Kind Regards

Colin Younger

26 Feb 2021 11:51 #5909

There is a bizarre aspect of the Gambimg Act which the response from the council revealed. A Bingo Premises Licence permits bingo between 9am and midnight. However gaming machines are an automatic entitlement of a bingo licence, and there is no cap on the number of such machines or any time restrictions, hence the 24hr provisions.

The bingo operation is designed to be online.

Basil Clarke

26 Feb 2021 12:30 #5910

The letter from Chnis Bryant to councillors sums the situation up beautifully. My only quibble is that not all petitioners live in PG ward, as Winchmore Hill and Southgate Green wards are very close and their residents are affected too.

Keung Tsang

08 Mar 2021 19:55 #5923

Dear Wendy,

Can I ask if 292 High street has planning permission to become an gambling arcade. I believe it was previously a shop, and thus needs planning permission. Cllr Caliskan's letter is about the license to operate a gambling establishment, it does not necessarily mean that they can operate out of 292, if there is no planning permission.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.856 seconds