pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: A plaza for PG?

A plaza for PG?

Hal Haines

18 Nov 2021 14:53 #6233

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

This article explains how you get a high street to thrive www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/mar/29/high-street-closed-betting-shops-york-back-from-dead?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other It needs more than retail, it needs to be more of a ‘place’ and this is what the council are trying, so good for them. I’ve seen so many people talking PG down but it is bucking the trend with more shops opening despite the pandemic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sue Beard, Adrian Day

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A plaza for PG?

Karl Brown

18 Nov 2021 18:21 #6234

It looks like a splendid idea which I suspect has the support of the business association as well as adjacent businesses. I hope any development would aim to produce a genuine plaza and not merely a blocked road with planters.
Inevitably posts diverge towards LTNs so it’s perhaps worth pointing out HMG’s latest (19 Oct) commentary on same:-
“We will deliver the Prime Minister’s bold vision for cycling and walking, investing £2 billion over five years with the vision that half of all journeys in towns and cities will be cycled or walked by 2030. We will also deliver thousands of miles of safe, continuous, direct routes for cycling in towns and cities, physically separated from pedestrians and volume motor traffic along with more low traffic neighbourhoods and school streets."
The existing London target stands at 80% of all journeys being active (walking, cycling, public transport) by 2041.
With the evidential based support of LTN’s in HMG’s recent review, “Gear Change: one year on”, I don’t get the feeling they are going to go away any time soon.
I’m quite confident the story about Everyman cinemas is not the case and even if so, Enfield council neither sets rents nor business rates. A local cinema would be a marvellous addition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adrian Day, Sue Hicketts

A plaza for PG?

Philip Sheffield

18 Nov 2021 20:07 #6235

I would like to understand the process here. The press release tells us that Enfield Council and the architects have begun engaging with local residents and businesses to discuss aspirations for Devonshire Road and are expecting to deliver the project by Spring 2022 dependent on the outcome of the Fox Lane QN Trial.

Well that's news to the Fox Lane and District Residents' association which counts Devonshire Road within its boundary. It is also news to local businesses who have not been consulted about this. There are many questions to be asked and I urge the council to genuinely consult with the residents association and Green Lanes business association.

A plaza for PG?

Adrian Day

19 Nov 2021 15:56 #6239

The idea for a public space at the junction of Devonshire Road and Green Lanes originated with the community; several residents in Devonshire Road and other streets in Palmers Green (including FLDRA members) had the idea of a parklet there - and in 2019 they erected a 'pop-up' parklet, supported by Better Streets for Enfield and Enfield Cycling Campaign members. Residents in Devonshire road were told of the event and many helped or visited. I met with the Vice-Chair of GLBA and the event was publicised in their WhatsApp group - and I spoke personally with several proximate businesses, who welcomed the idea (indeed some wanted the same near the Triangle). Councillors from all parties were invited and several attended from the main parties. The trial was well-received and widely reported on social media and through the Council's channels. The idea gathered momentum with the trial LTN in place - and was picked-up by the excellent, pro-active Palmers Green Action Team. Another local resident posited the idea of a 'plaza' rather than just a parklet and drafted some ideas. The Council have taken this terrific constructive community-originated idea forward. They have indeed consulted with GLBA on the parklet idea. Hopefully the LTN will be made permanent together with this plaza - it will help local businesses, provide a relaxing and attractive space for all and bring much needed greenery to that part of Green Lanes. I hope that the new FLDRA committee will be unequivocal in supporting a constructive idea that will enhance our High Street, especially as a fair few members (including several past committee members) were involved in its gestation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sue Hicketts

A plaza for PG?

Philip Sheffield

19 Nov 2021 16:27 #6240

The idea is not without merit but for a press release to say that local people and businesses have been consulted is spin. The current FLDRA committee is of course open to new ideas but , having spoken to many local businesses, there has been no genuine consultation .

A plaza for PG?

Adrian Day

19 Nov 2021 16:52 #6241

So does FLDRA committee support this idea?

A plaza for PG?

Tony Anton

22 Nov 2021 20:29 #6253

Plaza is an interesting idea but cannot see why it needs to be linked to the complete disaster that is the LTN?

A scheme designed for the few at the detriment of the many

How can diverting all traffic through Southgate roundabout, increasing congestion and pollution be a good thing? Only people living in the area who clearly don't drive regularly may be pleased, I have no idea who else can possibly like it. I know lots of people living in the LTN are very unhappy.

The traffic blocks fire engines at Southgate as well as any emergency vehicles trying to get into or around the LTN

It's a badly thought out scheme that anyone with an ounce of common sense can see is a disaster waiting to happen, that has simply moved cars travelling through it into traffic Jan's that never existed previously and increased pollution enormously

Absolutely ludicrous

Anyone saying its a success is clearly selfish, lives in the LTN and does not care about anyone else

A plaza for PG?

Adrian Day

22 Nov 2021 20:35 #6254

The plaza is a terrific idea that can only enhance Green Lanes - it's directly linked to the low traffic neighbourhood in that the Devonshire Road/Green Lanes junction would need to be filtered - as it is now as part of the LTN trial,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sue Beard

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.609 seconds