pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: A plaza for PG?

A plaza for PG?

John Phillips

18 Nov 2021 10:59 #6225

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

It's true retail space is no longer in such demand thanks to online shopping and many towns centres are dying. But many are thriving because they can evolve into what consumers want: a place that is good to visit for leisure as well as shopping.
The key is adaptabilty and the willingness to suit new types of consumer. Progressive towns and cities across the world are creating good environments to be in. Curtailing car use is often part of this. Change is hard to accept but its a case of do or die for many shopping centres.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sue Beard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A plaza for PG?

Griffin Mark

18 Nov 2021 12:31 #6226

I have no real issue with Devonshire Road (although I'm not sure how it'll work); I do however have huge issues around the introduction of LTN's, they are little more than money making areas that divide communities - gated communities for the better off will come next - its just not right or acceptable to the majority & I believe its politically motivated!

A plaza for PG?

Adrian Day

18 Nov 2021 13:22 #6227

I too agree with Ediz on this - other areas of Palmers Green need their high traffic neighbourhoods removing with parklets and filters. The roads south of the North Circular and east of Green Lanes around Grenoble Gardens need particular attention.

A plaza for PG?

Adrian Day

18 Nov 2021 13:35 #6228

Camera controlled filters only raise funds because drivers either dont know the Highway Code or wilfully drive through them. Shocking that people in charge of a tonne of metal capable of high speeds and killing people ignore basic road signs.

A plaza for PG?

Ann Jones

18 Nov 2021 13:39 #6229

Do come along to the protest against the injustice of Fox Lane Low Traffic Neighbourhood this Saturday morning 20 Nov at 10.00 am. Please stand in solidarity with your neighbours in this community suffering the consequences of this scheme.

The timing of this announcement about the proposed plaza is odd to say the least, coming just 2 days before the protest march. The press release isn’t available on the Council website nor does it appear elsewhere that I can see. Cllr Ian Barnes in his tweet is only includes the Palmers Green one and makes no mention of the Enfield Plaza — though as Deputy Leader you would think both should be equally important. But this is the Council that said the Devonshire Road parklet was coming in September. I think PG broke that news too … but then it ended up in Chase Side.

A plaza for PG?

Michele Welch

18 Nov 2021 13:53 #6230

And how do they think this will work? Palmers Green is gridlocked due to the cycle lanes. Shops are dying due to extortionate rent and rates and the trading of far too many repeat businesses. There's nothing to bring people to the area. Only a few years back Everman cinema were considering opening up at the Junction of Aldermans Hill. Instead the rent was way too high and they pulled out only for a furniture and a door shop to open in the prime location of the area. If they'd reduced the rent and the cinema had opened it might have gone someway to encourage people to come to the area and spend money ie a film and a meal in a local restaurant. Enfield Council are only interested in business that can generate more revenue for themselves such as coffee shops with outdoor seating where they have to pay for the privilege. With these seating areas and cycle lanes there's no where to walk let alone create a parisian culture. I just can't see it working.

A plaza for PG?

Neil Littman

18 Nov 2021 14:16 #6231

Regardless of views of the local LTN which have been endlessly discussed on this and other forums, the Plaza as somebody commented, is not a 'Fop for the LTN'. The reason, is that if the LTN does not go ahead than Devonshire Road would be re-opened to through traffic along with all the other roads that are currently closed the same way. It also sounds a lot of money to develop a section of the road that has already been closed off but similar figures have been quoted for making the Green in Winchmore Hill permanent.

A plaza for PG?

Adrian Day

18 Nov 2021 14:52 #6232

More people cycling frees up space for those who must drive. Traffic queues in Palmers Green are caused by drivers - the number of vehicles has increased dramatically in recent years. The only cause of traffic jams is.....traffic! What's your solution?
Attachments:

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.685 seconds