pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: A festival too far?

A festival too far?

Philip Sheffield

30 Jul 2022 10:55 #6527

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

I think it is atrocious that the council has agreed to this without proper consultation . I'm sure lack of consultation is a phrase I have heard before! Personally I will be opposing the grant of an alcohol licence as that is our only legal avenue to object. The Friends of Broomfield Park are rightfully disappointed with the process.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A festival too far?

PGC Webmaster

03 Aug 2022 20:03 #6531

Friends of Broomfield Park have sent the following message to everyone on their email distribution list:

NOT OK

FoBP does not support the proposal to bring a giant beer tent seating 2000 people to the park in October. thelondonoktoberfest.com .

We believe that the scale and its alcohol-driven nature presents high risks to the Palmers Green and is likely to create major damage to the park.

Four sittings over an October weekend will see 8000 people spilling out in Palmers Green after a boozefest.

Where drink is involved, the police recognise that behaviour can ‘escalate into aggressive, violent or lewd behaviour, such as intimidation or verbal abuse of passers-by, fighting or urinating in public. All of which are offences.’

We are very angry with Enfield Council at allowing this proposal to proceed to the licensing stage without any public consultation.

Read the FoBP objections here bit.ly/3Bob5nP

You may have other concerns....

Send your personal representations to making sure that you refer to the licensing objectives:
• the prevention of crime and disorder:
• public safety:
• the prevention of public nuisance:
• the protection of children from harm
and write to your local councillors to say what you think:

bit.ly/3zF3MHl

A festival too far?

PGC Webmaster

03 Aug 2022 20:13 #6532

One of the Arnos Grove ward councillors, Paul Pratt, has arranged a meeting with residents to discuss the Oktoberfest event.

As your Councillors in Arnos Grove, we have received a number of emails and phone calls objecting to the Oktoberfest event. This has been approved without consultation with local residents which is unacceptable.

Oktoberfest is without a license to sell alcohol in Broomfield Park.

Adrian and I fully intend on objecting to their application which must be submitted prior to the 24th August. To ensure your views are properly represented, we will be holding a Residents Meeting at the Civic Centre on Thursday 11th August at 7pm.

In order to attend, please email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. using the subject title 'Oktoberfest Residents Meeting'. Please include your name and residential address.

This meeting is open only to residents of Arnos Grove ward and chairs of residents' and community groups in neighbouring wards (please email Cllr Pratt and let him know which group you represent and what your position in it is).

A festival too far?

PGC Webmaster

03 Aug 2022 20:49 #6533

This is how the row over the Oktoberfest has been reported in Enfield Dispatch.

enfielddispatch.co.uk/palmers-green-residents-say-nein-to-german-beer-festival

A festival too far?

Darren Edgar

04 Aug 2022 09:12 #6534

Whilst the Council has again consulted poorly, feels a bit like Merkur where they just tried to brush it under the carpet, the hyperbole on here is absolutely staggering.

Out of interest, of those complaining, anyone under 40??

A festival too far?

Darren Edgar

08 Aug 2022 15:46 #6535

Council have also now confirmed this event is being rejected. Organisers were set a list of conditions to satisfy and haven't therefore permission is being withdrawn. Good result for the fun police.

A festival too far?

Neil Littman

08 Aug 2022 16:38 #6536

Looks like Enfield Council are asking for the application to be withdrawn.

A festival too far?

Basil Clarke

08 Aug 2022 18:40 #6537

Darren Edgar wrote (message 6534) :

Whilst the Council has again consulted poorly, feels a bit like Merkur where they just tried to brush it under the carpet, the hyperbole on here is absolutely staggering.

Out of interest, of those complaining, anyone under 40??

While I disagree with Darren's view that objections to this particular event are greatly exaggerated (well, I would do, wouldn't I ? - I'm 40 + 31 years old), I think his point about people's ages is a good one, and not just on Palmers Green Community. Older people are over represented on residents' associations and other "civic sector" groups - which is inevitable, because younger people have their hands full looking after kids and trying to earn a living, or if they're not yet at that stage they're busy with their social lives. But it's obviously important to think about how things impact on them, and on kids too, as they're the people who'll be around in the future living with the consequences of decisions made now.

I sympathise with the view that people of my generation, the baby boomers, are in many ways guilty of denying younger people the things that we had. We grew up at a time when kids were free to roam without being constantly chaperoned, at school we weren't under such pressure to get A grades, then we enjoyed completely free university and college education, which we finished at a time when there were plenty of jobs. A much higher proportion of jobs at that time paid enough to actually build up savings. Rents were very low compared to now, and when we were in our late 20s or early 30s we could afford to get on the housing market. As for food banks, they would have been unimaginable.

Over the decades, government policies have helped take away many of these opportunities for generations that came after us. And who are the people who've been electing those governments? Us, of course.

I haven't looked into this, but I bet if you look at the age profiles of people responding to various government and council consultations, you'll find that they're skewed towards older people, when it's younger people, and especially those who are now children, who'll have to live with the consequences of us looking after our own immediate interests - polluted air, polluted rivers, road danger and noise, and above all, the climate catastrophe that is already starting to happen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geoffrey Kemball-Cook, Darren Edgar

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.894 seconds