pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: The Fox: Offering a warm Irish welcome from January?

The Fox: Offering a warm Irish welcome from January?

PGC Webmaster

30 Nov 2022 19:48 #6685

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

[Original article]

artists impression of refurbished fox pub in palmers greenAn artist's impression of what the Fox will look like after reopening

Notices were displayed in the windows of the Fox on Wednesday morning, announcing that the pub would be reopening in January and advertising for staff. Rather oddly, the notices referred to "The Fox Wood Green", but the windows they were in were definitely in the Fox Palmers Green. However, by 4pm the notices had disappeared - hence the question mark in the headline. (Perhaps they were relocated to the Fox Wood Green?)

the fox wood green announcement

An edited version of the notices displayed in the windows of the Fox on Wednesday morning, that had disappeared by 4pm.

But let's assume that the notices were in the windows of the right pub and didn't disappear because the plans to reopen the Fox have fallen through, but for some other reason.

It seems that the Fox will become part of Akw Pubs, a small chain run by Austin Whelan, whose signature adorned the notices. However, from research on the internet it appears that the chain trades under the name Whelan's and its pubs are leased from Star Pubs & Bars, a subsidiary of the international brewing giant Heineken (the "Star" in the company's name was the logo of Newcastle Breweries, one of hundreds - thousands? - of companies swallowed up by the black holes at the centre of the international brewing industry).

Whelan's, based in Sawbridgeworth, currently have three "Irish Traditional" and five "Whelan's Premium" pubs, most located in London suburbs. The About page on their website states that:

Whelan’s Pub Company was set up in 2007 and we now operate eight pubs across London and the south. Each is either a Whelan’s Irish Traditional or a Whelan’s Premium pub.

All have the same aim: to deliver a warm and vibrant Irish welcome to all our guests.

Music and the top sport action are at the heart of our offering; big screens and the very best of live – mainly Irish! -  music features throughout the week at each of our venues.

Our brand thrives in town centre locations, and we love our huge mix of guests – from students to families, fans of football, racing and rugby to those looking for a quiet pint!

Whelan’s. Perfect pubs, whatever the occasion.

So it looks as though the reopened, smaller Fox, boasting its splendid weatherfox, will have more in common with the Fox as it was before it closed than we might have expected: a renewed Irish welcome, and big screens showing sports.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

JuliusCaf

01 Dec 2022 04:37 #6686

The carvery in the original Fox was something to behold!
I believe Whelan's other pubs do food, carvery I'm not sure.
I wish them well!

Sarah Dowling

01 Dec 2022 07:36 #6687

So disappointed to read this. We already have an Irish pub offering sport.
I was hoping for a pub with proper beer, high quality food, community events. Something like the Winchmore or Prince. Seems like they haven't researched the local needs if they are saying wood green either. Guess we might still have to go to Winchmore hill for a proper pub.

Adrian Day

01 Dec 2022 09:16 #6688

I'm pleased a company is taking the lease on and look forward to visiting. Hope food is part of the offer

Basil Clarke

01 Dec 2022 17:50 #6689

As I suspected, the notices were taken down yesterday afternoon because they erroneously stated that the Fox was in Wood Green. The new notices that appeared today have taken a more cautious approach by just saying "413 Green Lanes N13 4JD" - perhaps they were cautious about saying Palmers Green in case it actually turned out that the Fox is in Winchmore Hill!

Basil Clarke

01 Dec 2022 18:00 #6690

Sarah Dowling wrote (message 6687) :

I was hoping for a pub with proper beer, high quality food, community events. Something like the Winchmore or Prince.

I imagine the Fox will be one of the Whelan's Premium pubs - if you look on their website you can see all the existing Premium pubs, and they look fine, not like the fake Irish pubs.

I'd rather not have the TV screens, but perhaps pub economics these days makes them essential.

Darren Edgar

02 Dec 2022 10:18 #6691

Sarah Dowling wrote (message 6687) :

I was hoping for a pub with proper beer, high quality food, community events. Something like the Winchmore or Prince. Seems like they haven't researched the local needs if they are saying wood green either. Guess we might still have to go to Winchmore hill for a proper pub.

Which is the Irish pub in PG?I love the Winchmore and the Kings Head in WMH and agree PG has been crying out for something nice (current scene is a complete dog, epitomised by the awful Spoonies) but from what I've seen of this guys other venues they do seem nice and smart with good food/drink options. Did you not think the same?

Sarah Dowling

08 Dec 2022 07:18 #6695

Existing Irish pub is the Wishing Well.
I looked at the Google reviews for the existing Whelan's premium pubs and didn't think they were very positive. Didn't feel like a premium offering.
I agree it's great it will open at all, but reviews don't lead me to expect quality food, beer or decor.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.770 seconds