pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: The Fox: Offering a warm Irish welcome from January?

The Fox: Offering a warm Irish welcome from January?

PGC Webmaster

14 Dec 2022 23:44 #6699

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Work to fit out the Fox is now under way and this new sign has appeared on the exterior of the building. I like the mention of local produce.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Darren Edgar

20 Dec 2022 10:18 #6709

Sarah Dowling wrote (message 6695) :

Existing Irish pub is the Wishing Well.

Ah yes, Wishing Well, quite a dingy little place that I never go in there anymore. That's a pretty low bar to set standards-wise so the new Fox can only be an improvement! Can only dream of Winchmore Hill quality pubs....

Basil Clarke

21 Dec 2022 23:05 #6712

Darren Edgar wrote (message 6709) :

Ah yes, Wishing Well, quite a dingy little place that I never go in there anymore. That's a pretty low bar to set standards-wise so the new Fox can only be an improvement! Can only dream of Winchmore Hill quality pubs....

I've only been in the Wishing Well a few times, but that's because it doesn't sell real ale, not because it's "dingy". It's always struck me as well run, having a friendly atmosphere and being a proper local, somewhere where regulars can drop in and have a chat with someone they know and perhaps make some new acquaintances. That makes it an invaluable community asset.

As for dreaming about Winchmore Hill pubs, in some cases when it comes to their prices it's more of a nightmare.

Darren Edgar

22 Dec 2022 09:17 #6714

Narrow frontage with minimal glazing. Deep with little natural light. Dated decor. To me that is a dingy pub even if it might function as a friendly local boozer. Beer selection wasn't good from memory let alone if you don't drink beer....

JuliusCaf

05 Jan 2023 08:01 #6726

For God's sake, give it a chance!
It hasn't even opened its doors yet and you get a comment like this.
Nobody will stick a shotgun up your posterior and force you to enter!

Sue Beard

05 Jan 2023 10:44 #6729

This is why I don’t log in that often. There is always someone who wants to do stuff down.

People have different ideas of what a pub is, but that is fine. Different pubs suit different people.

The building has been refurbished- a win. It’s still a pub- a win. The company are investing in it - a win , especially in these times. The fox had got very run down and the beers it’s had a few years ago is irrelevant. This is a new offer.

As for the wishing well, it’s a traditional more homely boozer. It’s not meant to be sparkly or ersatz or trendy like the majority of Winchmore Hill pubs. It is very well run, and the girls work their socks off, and always have a friendly welcome. Let’s not put people off going in with thoughtless comments and let’s give the fox and every new business a chance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darren Edgar

Karl Brown

05 Jan 2023 14:22 #6730

Adding to the Wishing Well’s support from Sue, it is indeed a top spot. Walking in on Tuesday the always lovely staff knew my desired beer without any need of a prompt and brought it to my chosen spot, a seat from where it was possible to switch to a view of the world darts championship from Aly Paly on the other telly whenever out-matched Arsenal were trying to bore a class Newcastle team into submission. How Mikel Arteta avoided a red card for his touchline displays of pique, disgraceful with children and impressionable adults invariable watching, is surely a matter for the FA. Landlady Christine would have made a much more effective ref.
A sea of fancy dress at one venue and shirtless Geordies in the other audience highlighted the country making the most of its Brexit opportunities. Not a dinginess to be seen.

Sarah Dowling

06 Jan 2023 17:23 #6731

Looks like it's nearly ready to open! Exciting.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.550 seconds