pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: 60 years old and still looking good!

60 years old and still looking good!

Basil Clarke

26 Apr 2023 22:35 #6835

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

60 years ago, on 20th April 1963, Edmonton Council officially inaugurated an impressive new public utility - the building now referred to as Ridge Avenue Library. I've been past on the bus countless times, but never got off and gone inside. It certainly looks from the outside as if it must be really light and airy inside.

While many 1960s buildings look shabby and cheap these days, to my eye Ridge Avenue Library has stood the test of time well and still looks modern and inviting. And I don't think a photo taken from street level does it justice, you really need to see if from the top deck of a bus to appreciate the unusual design of the roof.

But what a contrast between the state of the art new building and the old fashioned civic dignatories who were captured on film at the opening ceremony in this footage which can be viewed online courtesy of the London Screen Archives!

It's a silent film, so we can't hear the speeches. I'm not sure whether I would want to hear them, they might make the world that I grew up in seem even more ridiculous!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.694 seconds