pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Dramatic loss of species in a Palmers Green garden

Dramatic loss of species in a Palmers Green garden

David Hughes

30 Aug 2015 23:05 #1525

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

My wife and I moved to our current address on the Lakes Estate 25 years ago, and since then the following species have either not been seen in the past year or so although they were initially present, common even (Code A), have been dramatically reduced in numbers (Code B,) or were already absent or badly depleted when we moved in (Code C). The list is far from complete; species recorded are those which have popped into my mind in the past few minutes

Code A.

Hedgehog, Thrush, House sparrow, Frog, English ladybird,

Code B.

Blackbirds, Wasps, Bumble bees, Starlings, Hover flies, Night Flying Moths and the small flies which used to be attracted to lights (the loss of night flying insects is serious for bats)

Code C.

Butterflies, honey bees (might actually have increased slightly), wire worms, leather jackets, soil beetles.

The big winners have been the slug and snail fraternity since they no longer have serious predators, and in my garden newts, dragon & damsel flies which use my pond as a nursery.

This a catalogue of disaster. The loss of soil beetles is probably the consequence of nineteenth centuary air pollution, and is a disaster since they are a very significant predator of slugs and snails. And the loss of wasps probably would be a disaster if some of their prey, such as caterpillars, hadn't been destroyed by other environmental disasters. A big problem for night-flying insects is the presences of street lights.

Does anyone else have losses to record or comments to make?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.451 seconds