pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Regenerating Palmers Green town centre

Regenerating Palmers Green town centre

Darren Edgar

04 Apr 2018 15:21 #3751

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Joe Mark O'Connor wrote:

I think Enfield Council should put there heads together with Waltham Forest Council and take a leave out of their books they have done a amazing job reviving their town centre and its buzzing more then ever before.

That would be Waltham Forest Mini Holland you speak of.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Darren Edgar

04 Apr 2018 15:28 #3752

Cobbles?

Orcas in the middle of the highway have been argued as a vehement public health hazard, causing untold injuries, and you think cobbles across the whole of green lanes in the answer?!

Sometimes, a bit like Brexit, 50s Britain isn't always better and shouldn't be aspired to. PG is finally doing well coming out of a malaise with an improving high street environment and some interesting local/independent retailers. If more people visit and spend then this will continue to improve.

Landlords want to make money. Empty shops lose them money. If it was a simple as lowering rent demands then they'd all do that. Huge stores that aren't fit for modern retailer need (unless a national multiple retailer can be attracted, which PG is long way off having the strength to) will not let regardless of rental levels. No coffee shop could survive in that Starbucks unit. They'll be a long time to fill I think......

N Morris

04 Apr 2018 17:38 #3753

I'm laying out my vision using pictures. All of these images are of are of London streets :

Click here to enlarge

Myddleton Road
Crouch End Broadway
Colombia Road
Walthamstow Village
Muswell Hill
Tufnell Park
Broadway Market
etc.
They all have charm and character. There are strong densities of independent shops. Shop design - both inside and out - is important. The pedestrian experience is paramount. There are plenty of reasons to visit and to dwell. The environment is attractive. The shops are providing the customer what they want. Events like market days complement the permanent fixtures. There is a mixture of retail, leisure and lifestyle uses. These streets have an identity. They are modern uptakes on the traditional high street.

Palmers Green could be on this mood board - with the right changes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darren Edgar, Joe Mark O'Connor

Joe Mark O'Connor

05 Apr 2018 08:45 #3756

Absolutely charming...This is how our local high streets and shops should look like...it almost feels like your in beautiful Europe...maybe we should get are ideas and innovation from our neighbours...they are always looking jolly maybe it's because they care more how they live then we do...

Joe Mark O'Connor

05 Apr 2018 09:44 #3758

and
Peter George Regeneration Director emailed me telling me that he will be taking a walk along PG and Green Lanes in May to see what changes needs to be done, it may help if the public emailed him with ideas and suggestions...

It's great that we all show we do care but we need to take all our ideas and email them to Peter George to show we are serious to make a change. He would love to know that our community is passionate to make a difference.

Darren Edgar

05 Apr 2018 09:51 #3759

Joe - you have the most misty eyed view of Europe I have ever come across. Almost feels like you've either not actually been there much or have many many years ago hence you wistful longing.

Vaste swathes of northern and eastern European towns are complete dumps. There is lots and lots of loveliness not doubt, but the excellent pictures above are no more common or representative of Europe than they are British towns and villages.

A major step forward to improving street scenes (and one shown to reap dividends in other comparable northern European cities) is the priority of walking and cycling and aggressive reduction in car use/dependency. We need more mini-hollands, not more moaning about them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adrian Day

Joe Mark O'Connor

05 Apr 2018 10:05 #3760

Peter George Regeneration Director emailed me telling me that he will be taking a walk along PG and Green Lanes, to see what changes needs to be done, it may help if the public emailed him with ideas and suggestions...

It's great that we all show we do care but we need to take all our ideas and email them to Peter George to show we are serious to make a change.

Adrian Day

05 Apr 2018 12:03 #3764

A few years ago many residents took part in an extensive consultation exercise on how improve the Town Centre. The Council had a mobile office in Green Lanes and many visited to give their views. Most of the comments/feedback will still be relevant so suggest Peter reviews that input.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.759 seconds