pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Regenerating Palmers Green town centre

Regenerating Palmers Green town centre

PGC Webmaster

09 Feb 2017 19:06 #2703

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Colin Younger wrote:

So, here is an opportunity for someone to lead on a Palmers Green public realm improvement group, perhaps starting back with the 2014 Public Realm consultation which got buried by the cycle-enfield scheme and wasn't published. I thought we had published the draft report on that consultation, but I can't find it. I'll try to dig it out and post the link, unless Basil beats me to it.

Searching for "public realm consultation" will find information about the report referred to by Colin, or you can click on this link .

The article includes some longish extracts from the draft report, but doesn't link to the ful report, which I got hold of through a Freedom of Information Act request. I've probably got a copy on my computer. If I find it I'll put a copy on the website.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

PGC Webmaster

09 Feb 2017 19:42 #2705

The series of comments that were sparked by the article about new trees at the Triangle immediately broadened the subject into a discussion about generally smartening up the "public realm" in PG town centre.

Since the title of the discussion topic is now misleading, I've set up this new topic and will be moving the earlier comments here.

I'm also posting a link to the draft version of a report about the 2015 Palmers Green Public Realm Consultation. PG residents were interviewed in a caravan parked in Green Lanes. The council officer who was writing the report went on maternity leave before it was finished and the report was never published.

Here are the relevant links:

Residents' views on improving Palmers Green revealed - Article on PGC published in October 2014

Palmers Green Public Realm Consultation - draft report August 2014

Scanned copies of questionnaires filled in by members of the public

Scanned copies of maps annotated by members of the public

Well worth ploughing through the whole lot!
Attachments:

PGC Webmaster

09 Feb 2017 20:44 #2707

As well as information about the 2014 PG public realm survey, the website has the complete returns for a survey carried out in 2012. This predates my local activity and I don't know much about who carried out this survey or why.

Anyway, someone patiently typed out the contents of 139 survey forms and then somehow they came my way, so I uploaded them to PGC.

You can find them by navigating the menu structure: Planning & Development/Palmers Green Town Centre Improvements/Palmers Green Town Centre Improvement Project 2012: Survey responses

Or just click on www.pgweb.uk/planning-all-subjects/pg-town-centre-improvements/survey-responses

N Morris

10 Feb 2017 10:49 #2715

Thanks for sharing, I'll have a read through these and come back to the question of forming a public interest group.

Colin Younger

10 Feb 2017 19:16 #2719

As a matter of interest, some buildings on Green Lanes in Palmers Green are in the draft Local Listing awaiting final council approval. See:

new.enfield.gov.uk/services/planning/heritage-conservation-and-countryside/listed-buildings/planning-information-draft-enfield-local-heritage-list.pdf

See items 3, 106, 104 and 108. Personally I think No 379's attractive and unusual glass and bronze frontage should have been included, though I know nothing about it's history.

Attachments:

N Morris

10 Feb 2017 21:32 #2724

Its incredible to flick through that list and see such lovely architecture in the borough, and so much of it in Palmers Green.

Re earlier, Ibrar, sounds good. Will be in touch.

Freny Green

11 Feb 2017 08:22 #2731

Wow the transformation of Leyton high street is astonishing, and really shows what is possible. Palmers Green high street looks unattractive, grim and unloved, but has so much potential. Just wish we had as much support and investment as other areas so that it's a pleasure, not chore, to shop in.

Karl Brown

15 Feb 2017 11:16 #2746

Attached the 2014 Public Realm consultation mentioned in posts. Note the comment that 70% of PG locals were in favour of the proposed Cycle Lanes. Who would have guessed.
The 2012 survey, and the much typing it involved, was me supported, by a few other keen locals (I take all blame for typing). Working with FLDRA and GLBA over a long period and following presentations (under the then Conservative administration) to two Area Forums with 100+ attendees in each case, the concept was to look at positive points of PG high street, eg some of the architecture, and the not so good, eg traffic congestion, difficulty in crossing the roads, absence of green and so forth. Then look at options to improve the position for all stakeholders.
After about 3 years work, and under the new Labour administration, the work had been picked up and some background analysis carried out by the Council. A commitment was made to PG and talk included eg grants to help shopkeepers remove ugly metal shutters, paint upper floors and much more (this before the swinging budget cuts).
The survey – which had about 150+ respondees – was a latter part of the evidence gathering and took input through numerous channels mostly based on open questions, “what do you like/ not like / want to improve … ”) sort of thing.
And then on the wrapping it all up walk about with senior Councillors and Officers - and all based on 3+ years work - he whole exercise was hijacked and everyone ended up in Lodge Drive car park, because that was the answer to all PG’s problems it seemed.
And that was that. Strategy undermined, work undermined, collaboration undermined and opportunity shot.
I’ll give background to any group that chooses to form but won’t be spending more time on this one, once is enough. And all I still hear and read is that parking is the answer to the worlds woes.
Attachments:

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.718 seconds