pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Regenerating Palmers Green town centre

Regenerating Palmers Green town centre

Kaye Castanheira

04 Feb 2017 10:05 #2675

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

It's about time Palmers Green got a makeover, it's been neglected far too long, remove that tiny clock, it needs too be taller with a larger dial so the public can see it from afar, plenty of seats, plenty of trees to make the area look pretty and bring in nature, paving needs revamping, but most importantly the buildings do need a lick of paint, and then hopefully the shopkeepers will.follow suit to revamp their grim shop fronts, lm looking forward to my area Palmers Green coming back to live again!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

N Morris

07 Feb 2017 12:55 #2681

The public realm improvements for Palmers Green town centre that will arise from the Cycle Enfield scheme are very welcome. However, the extent of the improvements are not fixed.

It was intended that the footpaths would be re-paved as part of the works. This particular type of public realm improvement has a huge and immediate impact. As well as resolving irregular surfaces, broken paving and updating disabled access provisions, a cohesive paving scheme immediately improves the visual appeal of the streetscape.

Through a very basic material, it is possible to set the tone and character of a street. the new area around Palmers Green Library is the best evidence of what good investment and development can do. It's an aspect we can all benefit from - retailers, shoppers and residents alike.

I've sent the below to the Cllrs for Palmers Green and neighbouring wards. It would be great if anyone else supporting the public realm works could do the same or lobby any other groups/parties so that this element doesn't get dropped and the end result looks nothing like the artists impressions. The decisions are being made over the coming few weeks.

Dear Councillors,

I request that you use your influence to prevent the renewal of the footways in the Palmers Green Town Centre area from being value engineered out of the Cycle Enfield development plans in a bid to reduce costs.

We are obviously all mindful of budget constraints, but this is the one element from the scheme that will have near universal support - irrespective of views on cycling. The associated public realm investment will have been at the heart of many Yes votes.

When this scheme is complete, whether or not more journeys are made by bicycle, whether or not there is an impact on congestion, whether pollution counts decrease or increase, or any of the arguments made for or against the scheme transpires as true, the incontrovertible benefit of public realm improvements are the one certainty of the scheme. Investment breeds investment, and investment in Palmers Green town centre is long overdue.

It will never be more economical to carry out these works than now.

Attachments:

Karl Brown

07 Feb 2017 17:30 #2682

That and stripping out all unnecessary street furniture clutter and consolidating the remainder so it gives a tidy, positive appearance. The mid-pavement located litter bin outside of the previous WH Smiths store is an example of bad. Good if the lamp posts could be sensibly and consistently replanted too, either against the wall or kerbside, rather than their current randomising.
Plus some roadside greening anyone?

N Morris

07 Feb 2017 17:48 #2683

I totally agree with your comments Karl. Simple things like correct positioning of street furniture makes all the difference.

I think regulation should be extended further to include shop frontages. The higgledy piggledy (technical term) positioning of the signs and choice materials is very unattractive. Someone suggested on another thread asking the Council to introduce and enforce stricter guidelines. I think that would be very worthwhile.

When Waltham Council wanted to improve the appeal of Leyton High Street, they had fantastic results working in co-operation with the retailers and freeholders. The result is really attractive. Link below

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiE2JyFxf7RAhXJ1hQKHTQlB_MQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-2160777%2FLondon-2012-Olympics-Leyton-High-Road-gets-new-look-thats-Notting-Hill-EastEnders.html&psig=AFQjCNEevf88NQ60u7PqBVDwNgQPJdhF3Q&ust=1486575932095729

Darren Edgar

09 Feb 2017 09:54 #2691

Looks really nice. Just a pity Waitrose's exit indicates a decline in the town centre.

Colin Younger

09 Feb 2017 10:58 #2694

There's little chance that there will be any initiative to improve shop fronts. I've posted before about a historical reluctance on the part of Enfield to enforce the detailed planning guidance on shop fronts. This has been replaced by a much more general guidance in DMD 40 ( new.enfield.gov.uk/services/planning/planning-policy/development-management-document/planning-policy-information-dmd_adoption-november_2014.pdf )

N Morris

09 Feb 2017 16:51 #2698

Are there any local groups with the focus of PG high street regeneration? One to lobby the Council for change? It logically doesn't make sense that there isn't a thriving centre here - dense population, good access, good parking and public transport (train station/bus), lack of immediate competition within walking distance etc.

Colin Younger

09 Feb 2017 17:57 #2700

Ref M Norris's posting in particular,

We set up the PGC website so that groups could use it to coalesce and discuss such issues following the decision to sell off Southgate Town Hall. Local opposition to that lacked a focus, but there was no agreement about setting up a standing group to lobby for Palmers Green. PGC provides a vehicle to set up a virtual group, as we did over cycle-enfield and more recently over the Fox. Such a group can if required also meet face to face, as happened for the Fox.

So, here is an opportunity for someone to lead on a Palmers Green public realm improvement group, perhaps starting back with the 2014 Public Realm consultation which got buried by the cycle-enfield scheme and wasn't published. I thought we had published the draft report on that consultation, but I can't find it. I'll try to dig it out and post the link, unless Basil beats me to it.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.818 seconds