pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Yearning to see Traditional Shops!

Yearning to see Traditional Shops!

Darren Edgar

28 Jun 2017 11:41 #3048

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

What's the viable alternative to shutters for tenants to secure their premises from thefts and vandals?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Colin Younger

28 Jun 2017 12:12 #3051

Not all shops need solid external shutters. I know of one recent chemist refurbishment which used security glazing to avoid them. Enfield planning policy is against any external shutters and instead says that they should be internal. I think that its OK to have external shutters of the open link design which display the shop interior but don't detract from the street scene. There are many of these already and I don't know that they are a problem for the shops.

The aim in all this is to avoid the impression that the area is under siege from rampaging mobs. This in itself adds to feelings of fear and insecurity and reduces footfall in the evenings. I

Darren Edgar

29 Jun 2017 09:55 #3057

Sounds like expensive options for local traders on slim profit margins. Easier for the national multiples. But can see how it would be an improvement to the visual above.

Colin Younger

29 Jun 2017 11:36 #3059

I've been arguing for ages on PGC and with Councillors and council planners that the cost of less intrusive shutters is probably manageable when installed as shop fronts are re-done, which is pretty frequent. Over time as this happens the street scene would be much improved and if appearances count in assisting with footfall this would help business. If you don't think this would help, think whether a complete facade of scruffy solid shutters or shouting multi-colour advertising does; I think not.

I understand the fear of regulations on businesses, but this is one area where sensible use of the original shop front guidance would benefit them, whether national chain or local. There are pockets of good design, in PG, but too few.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.733 seconds