pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: A skatepark for Broomfield Park?

A skatepark for Broomfield Park?

PGC Webmaster

26 May 2021 20:27 #6004

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Thanks, Rubuen, for your two contributions to the discussion , which are both informative for people like me who've never stepped on a skateboard in their life and very convincing and moving in the way you describe how skateboarding and associated cameraderie can help develop life skills. I'm sure you'll have helped correct some widely shared misconceptions.

I asked Christie Wagland, one of the prime movers in the campaign for a skatepark in Broomfield Park, if she could update us on progress, and below is what she replied.

"That’s just wonderful! Rubuen is a member of our newly expanded group, which now includes local skateboarders! What a difference the skatepark could make to these youngsters.

"As for developments:

"We’ve expanded our group, as mentioned above, to include approximately 20 local skateboarders - one of whom is Team GB Pro Skateboarder Tom Knox!

"We now have experienced skatepark consultants working with us. One of them is a gentleman who is a long standing member of The Friends of Lloyds Park, Waltham Forest. He not only oversaw the refurbishment and extension to the Lloyds Park Skatepark in Walthamstow, but was also instrumental in raising £3m for general improvements to Lloyds Park.

"With him & the rest of our newly expanded group, we’re in the throes of organising a possible pop-up skate event in Broomfield Park towards the tail end of the summer.

"We’re also still in ongoing talks with Enfield Council & FoBP re the best way to move forwards with the plan.

"Since the consultants have come on board, things have become quite exciting!"

For readers who haven't been following this discussion, I recommend going back to the original news item about this project in which Christie's son Joseph made the case for a skatepark very eloquently. The plan would be to site a skatepark near to the children's playground, which means that the main part of park wouldn't be affected by noise.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Adrian Day

29 May 2021 08:38 #6028

I think it’s a great idea. I regularly walk past the skateboard facility in Finsbury Park - the skaters focus on their activity, there seems to be a clear etiquette around ‘who goes next’ and shouting and screaming are uncool. There’s old and young taking part. I suspect fears are unfounded; perhaps offer a ‘guided tour’ of Ally Pally or Finsbury Park skate park? Or even a video?

John Phillips

29 May 2021 18:23 #6029

Speaking as an old person, I think a skatepark is a wonderful idea. It's a great way for young people to develop new skills and build confidence. So what if there is a bit of noise, it's in the middle of a field and there are plenty of quiet spots in this huge park. Young people tend to make a bit of noise when they are happy and I am all for that. Who wouldn't be?

Karl Brown

18 Jun 2021 09:29 #6067

NO COMPLY skate culture and community
"……. Up and down the country skateboarding is thriving, and during lockdown has experienced the biggest increase in uptake since 2000, with over 750,000 skaters and 1,500 active skateparks currently operating across the UK. We’ll soon witness its debut at the Olympic Games in Tokyo, yet despite its prevalence, the story of skateboarding’s longstanding influence has remained under the radar……"

With the proposing of a skatepark in Broomfield this free exhibition at Somerset House, 19 July to 19 September, might make for a timely visit.

www.somersethouse.org.uk/whats-on/no-comply

PGC Webmaster

02 Nov 2021 00:43 #6195

A new article on the Enfield Dispatch website by Joseph Wagland promptedc me to check on how his petition is doing. It's approaching 1200 signatures.

www.change.org/p/lets-build-a-skatepark-in-broomfield-park

If you're new to this, go back to the start of this discussion thread to read Joseph's very persuasive argument.

Philip Sheffield

06 Jul 2022 21:08 #6492

The Fldra is broadly sympathetic to this proposal. Have there been any recent developments?

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.631 seconds