pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Campaign to save the scout field in Winchmore Hill

Campaign to save the scout field in Winchmore Hill

PGC Webmaster

07 May 2019 23:07 #4515

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

The official deadline for commenting on the application to build a carwash on the scout field next to the Paulin Ground in Winchmore Hill was 3rd May, but as the next planning committee meeting is likely to be in a couple of weeks time (it's not showing up in the schedule yet), it's possible that any comments that people submit over the next few days might be considered. Failing that, you can send them by email to Cllr Ian Barnes, who is one of the councillors for the ward where the field is located - .

There's a report about the campaign to save the field in the Enfield Independent .

The online planning register is at planningandbuildingcontrol.enfield.gov.uk/online-applications and the reference is 19/01336/FUL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Campaign to save the scout field in Winchmore Hill

David Hughes

09 May 2019 22:57 #4526

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

I suspect that many will think me seriously odd when I tie this issue into the recent forecast of worldwide and catastrophic Global Warming very soon unless serious reductions in carbon dioxide emissions are achieved. So here is my thought process.

The application seems to be for the installation of a carwash on what is currently a field. Therefore more concrete where previously there was grass and perhaps shrubs and trees, and more vehicles emitting a greenhouse gas to reach the site. In the scheme of things small amounts I imagine, but in these days when science is saying we have already gone far too far towards global warming is cleaning a car really such a chore that car-owners are unable to do the job themselves? London’s traffic has enough to answer for already in terms of very poor air quality.

And all this against a background where gas central heating boilers are under threat as a heating system due to the consequences of their emissions.

Giving thought to this proposal led me to wonder whether the field, given that it is not being ploughed for agriculture, could do its bit towards reducing climate change and improving air quality by growing some shrubs or trees, or both.

Climate change is set to be a very big issue, and we all need to be thinking about it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.542 seconds