pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Preliminary meeting about plan to build housing on Arnos Grove station car parks

Use this section to discuss planning and development topics that do not have their own section

Preliminary meeting about plan to build housing on Arnos Grove station car parks

Karl Brown

02 Jul 2019 09:44 #4651

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

The aspect of new housing being centred on transport hubs (and high streets) as being in a “totally inappropriate space”, as Sanjay Merchant postulates, is a ship that has long since sailed at both London and Enfield planning levels. These are exactly the sorts of locations that are now very much the way forward and the (highly credible)arguments well documented in dense GLA paperwork.
I flagged up these key consultations, when there was the opportunity to input, and some of their possible impacts, several times on this site as well as when speaking at eg BHORA’s AGM in 2018,
Me, at an Enfield level, I suggested Hadley Wood – existing public transport, shopping centre and more space than in many parts of the borough. Don’t suppose they wanted more housing either.
I’m not as convinced about the local businesses and everything else suffering when local parking becomes prohibitive line: a trip south no further than Crouch End seems to question that argument.
Getting across the borough, and beyond: a committed Spurs fan here in PG now finds he can cycle to the new stadium and its dedicated parking racks rather than spending a lot more time using his car or Freedom travel pass doing the same journey. There might well be something in that

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Preliminary meeting about plan to build housing on Arnos Grove station car parks

Darren Edgar

02 Jul 2019 11:03 #4653

@Sanjay

Weird. I bought flats in two new developments, Finsbury Park and Newington Green, both of which had no parking allocation and a contractual prohibition on being able to apply for or have any parking permit for any streets in the locality. Neither area has suffered any negative effect from residential parking need as a result.

Bounds Green is having CPZ's introduced, most of the streets by Bowes Park station have them now I understand.

How would building the flats worsen air quality? Can you talk through your logic/how you're making that spurious connection? Or are you hanging your hat on the aforementioned parking/traffic??

Sanjay Merchant

02 Jul 2019 22:26 #4655

David the CPZ extension you are referring to relates to the Haringey side of the Bounds Green area. If you walk around the Enfield Segment you will see there are no parking restrictions throughout the day. There really is no comparison between Finsbury Park/Stoke Newington and Arnos Grove especially when you bring the A406 into the equation. The construction of flats along Bowes road has the potential to shift a large number of vehicles into the Bounds Green area. Warwick Road is already used as a rat run for people trying to avoid congestion on the A406 travelling eastbound. Before you say that there should be a CPZ on the Enfield side of the boundary, the local residents have already rejected such proposals in the past.

Sanjay Merchant

03 Jul 2019 09:31 #4657

Karl, your example of Crouch end is quite pertinent to our family. My sister runs an independent retail outlet just around the corner from the clock tower, and yes parking has a massive impact on footfall in her shop.

With regards to cycling to WHL, who in their right mind would want to do a stupid thing like that. Aside from being the nearly team in North London, it's hardly a great place to leave your bike for a few hours, is it?

Darren Edgar

03 Jul 2019 09:46 #4658

A very convenient set of answers there.... no restrictions supposedly on the Enfield section but when you complain about and rally against AG resi development based on supposed parking issues you say that local residents reject CPZs anyway. If there is a solution to a problem a people reject it then that's there problem. Progress shouldn't be restricted because of it.

Also see no reason for the lack of comparison. Other than personal convenience to your argument. London is desperate for new housing - if people see an opporunity to get on the ladder, in a location with excellent public transport connectivity, the lack of parking won't be a problem. It wasn't in FP and it won't be in AG.

So it is only a matter of concern for those currently using that land to park their cars..... which a local CPZ solves. Lots of bus routes serve the station and parking is expensive - maybe people need to give up the luxury of the giant metal personal box.

Darren Edgar

03 Jul 2019 09:49 #4659

Crouch End - where has the significant change been in parking availability the last few (5-10) years? I'm struggling to think of a big car park that's been removed or added or any major changes to the street parking situation.

Karl Brown

04 Jul 2019 08:19 #4660

Strikes me that having four dedicated cycle parking locations as an integrated part of the new stadium build and two specific cycle routes converging towards it highlights sensible planning. It is the future. 15mins by bike from PG I’m told versus a lot more (time and cost) by public transport or car, seems to be the cherry on top.

On the “massive impact on footfall” parking has in Crouch End, has that been quantified and specifically versus some causal change in the parking situation? i have this emerging theory that the less room given over to space hungry cars, then the more there is available for feet.

Neil Littman

04 Jul 2019 09:59 #4664

So what happens to encourage car owners to change to electric vehicles? Either we are moving towards replacing petrol or diesel cars with 'clean' electric cars or simply removing all cars from our streets. Which is it? I find the policy confusing.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.746 seconds