pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: New trains - next week?

Details of new Moorgate line trains

Basil Clarke

20 Feb 2016 23:44 #2022

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Govia Thameslink Trains has concluded a financing deal which will allow it to replace the current 1976-vintage trains that run on services from Moorgate, which include the Hertford Loop.  The 25 new trains, built by Siemens, will enter service in late 2018.

artist's impression of new trainThe Moorgate service require special dual-voltage trains as the underground section, the "Northern City Line" between Moorgate and Drayton Park, uses a DC third-rail system, while the remainder of the route uses AC overhead power.

Additionally, the short platforms on the Northern City Line mean that trains can be no more than six coaches long.  In contrast with the current trains, which are made up of either one or two three-car units (ie three or six coaches in all), the new trains will be six-car units, so all services will be run by full-length trains.

According to a press release issued today, the new trains will feature:

• Fixed length with full width inter-vehicle gangways, creating more space for passengers on board (there are no intermediate cabs)
  • Intelligent climate-controlled air-conditioning
  • The latest in passenger information systems with real-time information
  • Fully accessible and compliant with disability legislation
  • Power points throughout
  • Full Passenger WiFi functionality built in.

Hopefully, by the time these trains enter service, Govia will have trained enough drivers to provide a full service at weekends and during school holidays (but don't bet on it!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Karl Brown

21 Feb 2016 18:48 #2023

Drivers for early evening and all the daytime time trains would also help with the basic mission of a railway. And as for all northbound trains from 2228 onwards, ".may be subject at alteration..", ie not there at all. A bit more commitment to run a railway late evening would often be appreciated.

Karl Brown

24 Jan 2019 14:42 #4359

More than mere detail of the new trains, we now have an operating photo!
Shiny, fresh logo's, quieter, no Metro's on the floor (yet), no graffiti (yet), no feet on seats (yet) but unfortunately no announcement at Aly Paly to say you're on the Hertford line, or not, so expect a few more of those unfortunate incidents where the scenery doesn't look as usual and the noise of the tracks a tad different to previous times and you end up having to wind your way back from wherever. (My personal best was a non stop to WGC , arriving there 23:30.)
Attachments:

PGC Webmaster

24 Jan 2019 16:48 #4360

...and here's a short video about the new trains.

PS Don't try mimicking the cover shot yourself!

Bill Linton

31 Jan 2019 15:35 #4368

It's pretty easy to tell whether or not you're on a Hertford Loop train at Ally Pally: if you're on platform 6 with vegetation on your left and the platform on your right, you are; if you aren't you're not. That's aside from the announcements and indicator boards wherever you got on and at intervening stations.

Basil Clarke

31 Jan 2019 16:02 #4369

Karl Brown wrote:

More than mere detail of the new trains, we now have an operating photo!
Shiny, fresh logo's, quieter, no Metro's on the floor (yet), no graffiti (yet), no feet on seats (yet) but unfortunately no announcement at Ally Pally to say you're on the Hertford line, or not, so expect a few more of those unfortunate incidents where the scenery doesn't look as usual and the noise of the tracks a tad different to previous times and you end up having to wind your way back from wherever. (My personal best was a non stop to WGC , arriving there 23:30.)

On my way home from work I once got on a train at Kings X expecting to change at Finsbury Park. Unfortunately, it was one of two trains with the same departure time, and this one had first stop Royston. When we arrived there I got off, only to hear an announcement that all trains to London were halted due to a stuck level crossing. Fortunately, within half an hour they managed to unstick it and I managed to get back to PG without having to face a ticket inspector (I was using a Zone 1-4 travelcard).

Karl Brown

31 Jan 2019 16:54 #4370

Bill’s obviously a lot smarter than me but in our defence (for I certainly wasn’t the only one that evening who mistakenly ended up in WGC) the KX announcements and boards were wrong (this being when our evening trains started there). And once out of FPK the train didn’t stop at Ally Pall to check where the vegetation was!
Broken down train at Drayton Park this afternoon required rerouting to KX and delayed things by about an hour. No mention if it was new variety of train or simply an old continuing to struggle. Possibly the wrong sort of snow on the tracks, or threat of.

Wendy Sands

02 Feb 2019 10:25 #4372

I don’t want to get too excited but I thought I saw indicator boards INSIDE the train telling you the next station stop. Really? After all this time of tweeting and complaining about not being able to see station signs after dark and asking for driver announcements, maybe GNR actually listened? However there was no mention of this from Geoff so I don’t want to get my hopes up....In the meantime, we will still have to put up with this problem. Does anyone know why the driver can’t announce the approaching station?

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.819 seconds