pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Our trains: Light at the end of the tunnel, or just a red signal?

Our trains: Light at the end of the tunnel, or just a red signal?

Basil Clarke

08 May 2019 20:52 #4538

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

[Original article]

A tweet by Joanne McCartney AM, a member of the London Assembly's Transport Committee, has revived hopes that the train service into Moorgate might be transferred to Transport for London (TfL):

We've been here before, of course, back in 2016, only to find that proposals to transfer ours and other suburban services to TfL were vetoed by transport secretary Chris Grayling on the grounds that there might be a future Mayor of London who was a member of the Labour Party.  I'm not aware that there are commuters who boycott the tube because the current Mayor of London is a Labour member, but for all I know they may exist and, after all, Mr Grayling is celebrated for his good judgement and excellent decision-making, so who am I to question this line of reasoning?  He must be doing something right to have stayed in his post while all around ministers have been coming and going.  Let's hope that this longevity in the job has given him the time to rethink his policy with regard to TfL running more rail services.

Be that as it may, there's no doubt that the present operator, Govia Thameslink Railway, has not been running the Great Northern services in a satisfactory way and that commuters in Palmers Green and all along the line are heartily sick of the bad service.

Is it all Govia's fault?  Almost certainly not.  The Department for Transport and Network Rail must share some of the blame for the chaos that followed the introduction of "improved" services, and probably also the manufacturer of the new trains, whose entry into service has been delayed.

palmers green stationTypically scruffy Govia train at Palmers Green

The biggest cause of commuters' woe has been the chronic shortage of drivers.  This was inherited from First Capital Connect and was a known problem when Govia bid for the franchise. Their efforts to plug the driver shortfall have clearly not succeeded (though things do now seem to be improving on that front).  Perhaps they didn't try hard enough, but alternatively, perhaps there just aren't enough people wanting to drive trains?

However, I think there are some aspects of the unsatisfactory service where Govia bears the blame.  The infuriating failure to properly explain what has gone wrong when there has been disruption.  The absurd announcements that a train has been cancelled "due to staff availability", when they actually mean that staff (ie drivers) are unavailable.  The failure, until very recently, to make any attempt to spruce up the dismal platforms at Highbury & Islington and Essex Road.  Above all, the total neglect for the appearance of the old trains, after four or five years still in Capital Connect livery and exceedingly scruffy, when the sun shines brightly the water stains on the windows make it difficult to see out.  This neglect rather suggests that Govia are taking their "customers" for granted -  and surely one of the supposed advantages of privatisation is that commercial operators respond to their customers?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Our trains: Light at the end of the tunnel, or just a red signal?

Basil Clarke

15 May 2019 22:14 #4539

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

I don't get the train very often these days, but I did go up to Gordon Hill this afternoon. Looking online, I found that there were cancellations - I had been hoping that they were becoming a thing of the past, and I was hoping to finally travel on one of the new trains, but that hope was dashed too.

However, there is some good news. The invaluable website iansvisits.co.uk reports that

Govia Thameslink Railway has started improving the sub-surface platforms of Moorgate, Old Street, Essex Road and Highbury & Islington.

noting that

The stations form part of the Northern City Line operated by Great Northern to and from Hertford and Welwyn Garden City and have experienced years of underinvestment.

though it seems that Govia isn't bearing the costs involved:

Govia Thameslink Railway says that it is making £400,000 of initial improvements from the National Stations Improvement Fund to the fabric of the station platforms.

Ian writes that Govia are replacing "grubby" wayfinding and station signs dating back to the days of British Rail Network South East "or earlier" and that information screens showing Great Northern trains are being installed in the booking halls at Moorgate and Highbury & Islington.

I suppose we must be grateful for small mercies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.665 seconds