pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: A 'dashboard' showing traffic volumes and speeds in the Fox Lane area

A 'dashboard' showing traffic volumes and speeds in the Fox Lane area

Klem Klem

12 Jan 2020 07:52 #5110

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Your response should start 'in my opinion'.

Obesity and activity. When I was at school 1 entire day of each week (actually Wednesday and Saturday afternoons) was spent on Games , football, cricket, cross country running etc. So how much time is currently allocated in Enfield's schools this vital activity?

Letting 'Cycle Enfield' loose on Fox Lane will do absolutely nothing for obesity and activity, but it will hugely inconvenience practically all car owning resident, and add to both connection and pollution.

If a 20 mph speed restriction were imposed and enforced there should be no issues with supervised children cycling down Bourne Hill

Roads are for vehicles, both motorized and cyclists. Pavements are for pedestrians. If the law is changed and cyclist are allowed to use pavements their speed should be severely restricted so as not to endanger pedestrians.

Obviously cycling is to be encouraged but you really should appreciate it will only ever be a fair-weather option for most of the population. Are you out on your bike when its pissing down with rain, blowing a gale or below freezing? Are you really going to try to encourage people to use their bikes in such weather?

I note the number of cyclist recorded through PG triangle in December dropped hugely in December

I spent yesterday on my bike, 120 miles and almost 11 hours trying to keep my 70 year old body fit and active, most of it breathing hard and cleaning up the air for everyone else. What did everyone do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Klem Klem

12 Jan 2020 09:07 #5111

Dru you are wrong.
In Ulleswater 2 vehicles are recorded at max 55-60mph between 11-12 pm on Saturday
Page 2 refers to the whole Fox Lane area.

Adrian Day

12 Jan 2020 16:49 #5112

Please don't tell me what to write in my posts, Klem . It's not just my opinion that more cycling and walking and less travel by vehicles will increase activity and help climate change and reduce pollution. Plenty of evidence on the internet - here's a starter:
lcc.org.uk/pages/my-liveable-london

And yes, there's no reason why people should not cycle in the rain - as they do in the Netherlands. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_in_the_Netherlands

Karl Brown

12 Jan 2020 19:18 #5113

Norway is celebrating its first year since 1910 (NB that’s not 2010) with no children killed on its roads. Oslo, population about twice that of Enfield, saw no child, pedestrian or cyclist death last year and only one road death when a driver drove into a barrier.
The long article in Saturday’s Times goes on to explain why / how: tightened speed limits, countless road humps, cars banned from some areas, car parking spaces removed from central streets and around all primary schools, 40 miles of new cycle lanes, well-funded traffic cops and a mandatory four days of classroom “traffic class” even before your first driving lesson.
Oslo’s governing mayor is quoted as saying, “drivers should act as guests … it’s about humans taking back the streets from cars”.
One business group predicted that the city centre would become a “ghost town”.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adrian Day, John Phillips

Klem Klem

12 Jan 2020 20:41 #5114

Thanks Adrian. I've read the Wikipedia article but there is no mention whatsoever about cycling in the rain.

I repeat: that you really should appreciate that cycling will only ever be a fair-weather option for most of the population. Are You out on your bike when its pissing down with rain, blowing a gale or below freezing? Are you really going to try to encourage people to use their bikes in such weather?

PGC Webmaster

12 Jan 2020 20:43 #5115

Klem Klem wrote:

Dru you are wrong.
In Ulleswater 2 vehicles are recorded at max 55-60mph between 11-12 pm on Saturday
Page 2 refers to the whole Fox Lane area.

If you filter the data on page 2 to just see Ulleswater Rd data it shows 4 vehicles at 91mph or above.

But, perhaps more important, the chart shows 4182 vehicles exceeding 20mph, which is the maximum safe speed for driving along a residential street, where there is always a chance of a small person (young or old) emerging suddenly from between parked cars. That's 77 per cent of the total number of vehicles over the week.

More than 3000 vehicles were breaking the legal speed limit of 30mph - bad enough on a main road, but Ulleswater is not a main road.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dru Loizou

Adrian Day

13 Jan 2020 09:50 #5116

In Holland (Just as wet/cold as London) a much higher percentage of children cycle to school; they don't cycle here because its unsafe and we have poor infrastructure . When I was young nearly everyone walked/cycled to school - no reason that shouldn't happen again. In fact with climate change, obesity and pollution crisis there's every reason they should walk or cycle.

theconversation.com/twenty-times-more-english-children-could-cycle-to-school-with-better-transport-planning-113082

Darren Edgar

13 Jan 2020 11:08 #5118

Klem Klem wrote:

Haringey and other London Boroughs have introduced almost blanket 20mph limit which generally work. Speed is the problem. The easy, effective and resident friendly option would be for the council to introduce 20mph limit through the Fox Lane and all estates.

If that's the case, then why aren't the current 30mph speed restrictions working....??

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.837 seconds