pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Fox Lane low-traffic neighbourhood

Fox Lane low-traffic neighbourhood

Tamer Sancar

10 Oct 2020 21:33 #5629

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

That’s not a representation of the views and experience of the majority of people impacted by that scheme in Walthamstow but rather the narrative pushed by a small minority who benefited from traffic diverted away from their own streets. Driving habits did not change but rather people had no choice but to put up with the extra traffic, longer travelling and more pollution the scheme created.
The topic has been locked.

Steve Coupland

10 Oct 2020 21:39 #5630

I am just adding my voice to those who oppose this ridiculous and illogical scheme. The arguments about greater congestion, increasing pollution, longer journey times, added daily stress of travelling, etc, have already been well made. I have not read anything convincing that supports the imposition of this scheme that would be of benefit to the wider community of PG.

I see there are some that suggest we might all start using bikes and public transport that will create some new utopian world. Well, we have a cycle lane that is barely used (waste of money) and anyone using public transport will readily tell you how appalling these services are..... and how expensive! And right now who really wants to be on over crowded buses and trains with the increasing COVID risk.

In my view the council would be better focusing its resources on more important issues such as schools, and social care. If they really want to make our streets better, then perhaps clean them, repair the pavements, and empty the bins ore often.... that would be a good start!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helen Blairman, Richard Carlowe, Mel Willow, Tamer Sancar

Adrian Day

11 Oct 2020 15:55 #5631

So many inaccuracies here - but to address just one of them:
Attachments:

Adrian Day

11 Oct 2020 15:57 #5632

It'd be good to see your evidence for your assertions. This paper shows the benefits of the

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Walthamstow LTN

Adrian Day

11 Oct 2020 16:05 #5633

Great to see families enjoying the safe, quiet and less polluted roads of Palmers Green today. We urgently need more low traffic neighbourhoods in the area.

Attachments:

Alan Thomas

11 Oct 2020 17:17 #5634

Karl Brown wrote:

A nice timely response discovered by Alan Thomas finding the temporary cycle lanes are likely to be closed much earlier than intended. Come east on the same road to where I was referring to and the new floating bus stop with its associated mini zebra allowing pavement waiting pedestrians to embark a lane 2 bus is anything but temporary – I would imagine, but I’m sure someone will keep an eye out.

Was my response "timely" because the announcement was made on the 8th, and my post on the 9th? The main point was that this was a 'Streetspace' scheme being closed early - due to lower than expected take-up by cyclists and an overly negative knock-on effect for other road users. If there were less than the expected number of cyclists on that temporary 'Streetspace' stretch then it seems very likely that they were not using the lane less than a couple of hundred metres away on the same road outside the British Library. I don't want to be combative, but you seemed to be describing some new utopia while just a few hundred metres away a 'Streetspace' scheme is now being removed because it created "chaos". It doesn't quite add up, does it.

I'm not totally against the principles involved with the LTNs and I am a cyclist, pedestrian and public transport user too, so I 'get it'. But I am also a private car owner, making use of that option when the others are not suitable or available. The insidious demonisation of the private car user is very divisive, and I resent being referred to as a 'Rat Runner' when I am simply travelling between my home and elsewhere, so advocates of the LTNs will have to expect some push back from people who feel they sometimes have no alternative but to make use of personal car ownership. And - with apologies to the International Brigade slogan - 'if you tolerate this, then your gas central heating boiler will be next'... ;-)

Karl Brown

12 Oct 2020 13:28 #5635

Less describing a utopia than what on the face of it appears to be the early winding up of a temporary Covid inspired Streetscape measure versus something looking much more permanent. But with HMG intent plus that of the last two London Mayors in their Spatial and Transport strategies, the generational domination of car transport in planning and associated transport investment has ended. Locally we see this in the transport budget of Enfield necessarily fitting in with London’s overarching strategy – call it Mini Holland, residential cells, quieter neighbourhoods or LTN’s, all such now falling under its Healthy Streets umbrella, and it’s been clear for years. That should come as no surprise as I’ve been pointing it out on here, and encouraging input to the long since ended consultations for at least as long. There’s now the opportunity to input to the Fox Lane LTN trial, opening today, I believe. Again, I’d encourage evidenced views to be supplied, this time to our own council. Within all of this here is no demonization of the car driver that I know of – although a minority absolutely deserve it – rather their relative deprioritisation. All the “why’s” are extensively documented in the various plan backing papers. Enfield's own implementation has bounced around a bit with experience and funding availability since the Mini Holland winning bid but the direction of travel is constant.

David Hughes

12 Oct 2020 23:18 #5639

I cycled quite a few streets on the Fox Lane neighbourhood this morning - 12th October 20120 - just to get some exercise because I'm well into my eighties and find cycling easier than walking, and thought that the little traffic I came across was calmer than I've been accustomed too. Perhaps it was just chance, or the time I travelled, but it was pleasant feeling that little bit safer. I'll make more reports/comments as time passes.

Let's us hope, as KB commented, '.... that the direction of travel is constant'.
Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.770 seconds