Forum topic: Fox Lane low-traffic neighbourhood

Fox Lane low-traffic neighbourhood

Richard Carlowe

14 Oct 2020 10:47 #5640

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Adrian Day wrote:

So many inaccuracies here - but to address just one of them:

Thanks for this.

It conclusively proves that an average of circa 20 uses per hour , ie 10 in each direction, has not justified the huge expense and the inconvenience and potential danger caused to everyone else. At what stage does it all get ripped up?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan Thomas
The topic has been locked.

Neil Littman

15 Oct 2020 09:02 #5645

I did a survey of the main roads in the area of N21 and N13 this week during the rush hour and beyond to see the impact that the Fox Lane QN was having and also took supporting photos.
I also collated feedback from other residents on what they saw as I think this is the only way to prove one way or the other how the scheme is functioning and whether it is providing any benefits. The report in an edited form has been submitted to the council and I am going to continue monitoring the area when time allows.Here are the top line comments.1. Survey of the area took place between 8.30-10am morning of 13 10 202. Traffic heading towards Green Lanes down Bourne Hill was very congested and stationery much of the time so polluting the area. The tailback went almost as far as Broadwalk.Think a lot of this is due to the closure of Fox Lane at Green Lanes and for many people trying to get to the A406 at the Gt Cambridge Roundabout this is causing major issues.3. In the opposite direction the tailback from Southgate went up to Greenway.In both instances a mixture of private and business vehicles4. Asked bin lorry crew what they thought and they said their journey was delayed by 15-30 mins. Since they are working shifts this is affecting their working day.5. Meadway and surrounding roads have no signage indicating cameras until you are actually at the barriers. This seems deliberate. Signage equally bad at Cannon Hill.6. Saw about 20 vehicles go through thereby picking up penalty notices.7. Saw NHS ambulance reversing to avoid a PCN even though they are exempt.8. Spoke to local resident who said people are very divided over the scheme. It does make the area quieter but is causing a lot of travel issues for some people and those cars that go through the barriers are now going even faster than before.He thought they might install ANPR gates that recognise residents number plates but no use for visitors or carers or tradespeople.Also said that one thing Enfield did not consider is that Southgate is a major transport hub. Buses, trains etc. It is being choked. He advocated removing all parking on the high street but that is not the main issue.This has not been thought through. 9. Most roads were clear by 10am.Later on found out there had been similar congestion on Winchmore Hill Road heading to Southgate and the same happens in reverse in the evening rush hour.Another unintended consequence is traffic heading through Eversley Park now to avoid WHR past two schools. Again I also now have photos of this and school buses being delayed on Bourne HillOne thing is obvious and that is Enfield do not care about traffic flow in the rush hour. The only road I didn't visit was Aldermans Hill which has been covered extensively already.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mary Fleming, Richard Carlowe, Alan Thomas

Tom Le Bas

15 Oct 2020 11:08 #5646

Just wanted to add my opposition to this ridiculous scheme. The main problem I have with it is the fact that the (mostly wealthy) people living on the leafy Lakes estate are benefitting from quieter, less polluted streets while the rest of us have to suffer from noisier, more polluted streets. My formerly quiet, residential street has seen a large rise in traffic as cars cut through from Green Lanes to Hedge Lane to avoid traffic jams. Just to add - I cycle a lot and rarely drive, and I can still see how incredibly unfair this scheme is.

Guy Harrowell

15 Oct 2020 15:00 #5648

I live in the Fox Lane LTN. It is the most outrageously pompous scheme going. To suggest it's for the children is ridiculous. There are 2 huge parks easily accessible either side of Fox Lane. Although one of them is being destroyed by the friends of Broomfield park.

I am not a rat! if I want to travel from where i live in Conway road to Winchmore Hill, the most direct route was down broad walk, it isn't a cut through if it is the most direct route. I now have to sit on Aldermans Hill and then wait at The Triangle. With the introduction of the cycle lanes along Green Lanes, these roads are now congested and snarled up. What normally took me 5 minutes now takes 23 minutes!!!

Yes, the air maybe cleaner ON YOUR street but what about all the residents in Aldermans Hill, The Bourne N14, High Street N14. Cars are now sitting in congestion, polluting whilst stationary.

It's all well and good saying that these journeys aren't necessary, but the figures have been deliberately designed to mislead you. The council will have you believe that during March to July, people favoured cycling and walking. Agreed, we were in full lockdown, advised not to use public transport and there were no cars on the road as mot of the country were on furlough.

People can't go about there daily business without now having to factor in travel time to get passed Palmers Green.

If this was about the children (other chap begging for an answer), take away their phones, take them to the park show them how to clime a tree. Don't take them on their e-scooters to the park, there is no exercise in that.

These LTN's have to go! I'm a busy resident, not a rat.

Neil Littman

16 Oct 2020 08:48 #5649

I don't think this is an issue to do with wealth. Your journey has the same importance as everybody else. The wealthy need emergency services to attend and bins emptied etc. I don't think it is necessarily about privilege.

Adrian Day

20 Oct 2020 13:31 #5658

20 less cars on the road per hour

Geraldine Anwar

20 Oct 2020 18:11 #5659

Please can you explain how Friends of Broomfield Park are destroying the park?

David Hughes

20 Oct 2020 23:38 #5660

As I understand it the Council's intention is to encourage more people to walk, cycle or use public transport rather than a car, which very often is driver-only and therefore, for one person, emitting a substantial amount of exhaust fumes. Which in turn also means that the driver is mopping up a lot of road space compared with a pedestrian, a cyclist or someone using public transport, and meanwhile adding to poor air quality.

As an elderly gentleman(?) I choose cycling: less damage to hips and knees than walking, and doing very, very little damage by way of air quality. In fact when I stopped working we - she and me - promptly sold our car for scrap.
Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.816 seconds