pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Fox Lane low-traffic neighbourhood

Fox Lane low-traffic neighbourhood

roger dougall

11 Sep 2020 12:59 #5542

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Are emergency vehicles able to access the closed roads along Fox Lane through the filters?
Surely not all vehicles have a set of keys to open them. They don't appear to have a lock anyway.
Seems a bit worrying if they have to go the long way round.
Thanks to the responder
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan Thomas, Mel Willow
The topic has been locked.

Karl Brown

11 Sep 2020 16:11 #5543

Apologies for message repetition but to Alan Thomas the policy is no longer to view streets, towns and cities as they appear through a windscreen but rather how they operate in supporting active travel. Take these current changes from that viewpoint and a different picture emerges. It changes many decades worth of previous policy direction so will inevitably take some getting used to. The faster the more of us do so, the easier this particular journey will be.

Alan Thomas

11 Sep 2020 23:17 #5546

To Mr Karl Brown; I'm viewing this situation through the front windows of my Lakes Estate house and - in this forum's case - on the computer screen in front of me. If "getting used to" was the prime mover here, it would surely apply to the increase in motorised vehicle use and its forced displacement onto residential roads in the Fox Lane area too.
I'm guessing I'll have to wait for an answer to my 'Rat Runner' question...

Peter Payne

12 Sep 2020 02:09 #5547

Re #5516

Thanks Karl. We seem to be in agreement. A mixed measure of traffic calming methods, maybe night time closure, ANPR access for local residents, chicanes, speed cameras etc. but no overall closure of all the roads. After all these roads, particularly Fox Lane itself, were always built to serve a purpose other than getting people to their houses.
The following user(s) said Thank You: roger dougall

Karl Brown

12 Sep 2020 10:35 #5548

Sorry to disappoint Peter Payne but I don’t see any of the mutual agreement he claims: I don’t see how chicanes will impact on the objective of removing through traffic, while night time closures would impact a mere tiny percentage of the same. ANPR is either a cost to residents or a charge to misdemening motorists requiting the repeated breaching of the objective to sustain required income levels, a clear paradox. More specifically, and personally, I can see no justification why as a resident of a certain area I should have greater vehicle rights than those not living in that same area. The Fox Lane LTN space will be fully permeable to all of London’s residents.
When the LTN work is complete in 2-3 weeks, and after the inevitable bedding in hiccups, the impact can be seen and views provided. That said, after one week on the first changed street and a major transport thoroughfare we now have kids cycling and playing out, parents pushing prams and dogs being walked on the wider spaces and a clearly more relaxed atmosphere, almost as if a form of nature was reasserting control. Our own necessary car trips to eg up the A1 and earlier today to B&Q to collect heavies were a tad longer but we survived. The first drivers mounting the pavement to avoid the barrier are in course of prosecution which will hopefully cap the practise and so assist with what the trial seeks to determine.
Let’s see what happens over the coming months but from here, so far so good.

Karl Brown

12 Sep 2020 10:39 #5549

I'm not aware of any techniques used to force drivers onto Fox Lane's residential streets, that and the speed they choose to drive was always a personal decision. As i repeatedly say, the pendulum of policy being car focused has swung completely the other way. we are now seeing implementation. Expect more.

Alan Thomas

13 Sep 2020 08:04 #5552

Bill Linton wrote:

As for extra pollution on the surrounding roads, overwhelming evidence from other LTNs suggests that much of the traffic expelled from the Estate will simply evaporate. It's counter-intuitive, but that seems to be how it works.

Meanwhile in Wandsworth:

www.wandsworth.gov.uk/news/september-2020/low-traffic-neighbourhood-trials-suspended/
The following user(s) said Thank You: roger dougall

Peter Payne

15 Sep 2020 00:05 #5554

But Karl you seemed to suggest in your reply to the Sainsbury's analogy that the supermarket would take up several different measures to stop the illegal or antisocial activities but not close the supermarket.
The Lakes Estate residents have concerns about pollution, speed and noise which may be addressed in other ways than closing the whole estate down to traffic, pushing the problem to the surrounding roads.
Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 1.040 seconds