pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Fox Lane low-traffic neighbourhood

Fox Lane low-traffic neighbourhood

Karl Brown

15 Sep 2020 11:02 #5555

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Responding to Peter Payne, it’s probably worth reflecting on the fact that LTN are a HMG initiative now rolling out widely, and quickly, across the country. London for example has seen them developing over a number of years, presumably proving the concept to HMG’s satisfaction.
More locally, rather than pushing the problem elsewhere, a difficult task in itself given that the problem seems to be surfaced as a concern pretty much everywhere, the Fox Lane area LTN (which is much wider than simply The Lakes element) seeks to be one part of a long term solution to help resolve the problem. I think I’ve posted the same message a few times this month already, but policy no longer puts traffic (“the problem”) as the aspect to satisfy, rather it is support of active travel. If I can quote from last week’s LBE Cabinet papers when addressing future transport spend as a recent and local example:-

It should be noted that the vast majority of the proposed programmes and schemes support the uptake of active and sustainable travel modes so, as well as addressing the outcomes in the Mayor’s Transport Strategy, they contribute to the Council’s commitment in relation to addressing the effects of climate change;

Move those walkable, cycleable or public transport facilitated journeys currently met by a car and we are all living and moving about in a different world.
Once a problem is accepted as a problem best it gets addressed directly rather than danced-around. HMG seems to have concluded and acted. I’m now waiting for the imminent trial to see the impact locally as part of the bigger picture.
The topic has been locked.

David Hughes

16 Sep 2020 00:24 #5557

As ever Karl B. is right to reflect the fact that LTN are being rolled out widely across the country, not least elsewhere in London. Germany seems to have been the first to create the idea of a main road (in our case the A105 Green Lanes) with a series of slow-traffic residential areas like the Lakes Estate on either side. And I hope that I'm right in thinking that at least one other similar area has already been completed within our project. There will be more areas similar in basic concept as time progresses.

Personally I, and several other people I know, are very pleased with the overall project so far, but for me the crucial benefit will be for children who have lost most in the car age.

Brian Conn

17 Sep 2020 07:44 #5559

Well having had a few days of continuous stream of cars, lorries and vans pouring endlessly through Oakfield Road, Norman Way and Greenway, I am now at breaking point.

Norman Way, which is perhaps one of the narrowest roads on the area has cars speeding ridiculously screeching round the bend onto Greenway. A fatality will surely happen. Norman Way was a exceptionally qieit road and now a major thoroughfare.

Journey time from home to get anywhere has added 10 mins and to get to head down waterfall road by car is now an additional 1.5miles.

I have to say the whole thing is ridiculous and rat running could have been solved by installing ANPR allowing residents unfettered access.

Yet another hairbrained scheme!!

Karl Brown

17 Sep 2020 08:32 #5560

Brian Conn – welcome to the world the residents of many local streets have faced daily for the last few decades. Once fully implemented the issues you now experience will hopefully be history for all of us.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sue Hicketts

Tarnjit Dhesi

17 Sep 2020 16:26 #5561

We park roughly half a mile from my son's school and walk the rest of the way. My child now gets to enjoy breathing the fumes of all those idling cars on all the routes available (there are three) to get to his school. Once outside the school we are met with almost standstill traffic.

Close the roads if you must but think about the implications fully and understand the real impact. The island in Southgate is not fit for purpose as a main through route.

Reduction in car travel should come from the industry not requiring staff to come into offices but work from home where possible. Industrialists have made and will make their billions while us mere ants scurry, making limited contributions through regular personal sacrifice.

Richard Carlowe

18 Sep 2020 15:05 #5562

Big shout out to the those who added 10 minutes to my emergency journey to see my Mum in her assisted living home in Pellipar Close which has been cut off from the rest of Fox Lane

Big shout out to those whose almost unused bike lane on Green Lanes means that a bus in either direction blocks the road entirely causing huge congestion.

Big shout out to the person who has closed Fox Lane from Green Lanes but hasn't bothered to put any Dead End signs up so p'ed off motorists are forced to turn round in Pellipar Close, blocking ambulances and endangering elderly residents out walking

This scheme needs to end NOW
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mel Willow, Mrs B Waters

Karl Brown

19 Sep 2020 07:24 #5563

Since 2016 the University of Westminster has been analysing the impacts from traffic intervention measures across London. Data on this longitudinal study for 2020 has just been sought but findings for the 2016-2019 period is now available. I've included links so readers can delve as deep as they wish but headline summaries are positive: where there have been interventions there is more walking, more cycling, fewer cars purchased and less car use, with increasing trends over time in addition. Early days and as the research indicates, this is not a holistic catch all of every cause / effect but is strong enough to conclude desired outcomes are being achieved from the development of traffic interventions, such as LTN’s.
rachelaldred.org/research/low-traffic-neighbourhoods-evidence/
transportfindings.org/article/17128-low-traffic-neighbourhoods-car-use-and-active-travel-evidence-from-the-people-and-places-survey-of-outer-london-active-travel-interventions

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sue Hicketts

Mel Willow

19 Sep 2020 11:16 #5564

Not all children can cycle or walk. Some are disabled and blocking off roads to get to doctors surgeries (which have been included in the project) and forcing traffic on to main roads and prolonging journeys has great impact on some families. Yes, we are the minority here, but due to some irresponsible motorist that speed, rat race the wider community is having to pay the price. The other day, I could not turn into the street where my doctors surgery is, so I had to go round which would have been added an extra 30 minutes, but as there was an accident it took three hours and it was not pleasant with a disabled child in the car. I am all for quieter neighborhoods but this is not the solution, there must be another way and there should be more consultation before it is permanent. In an ideal world, I would love to cycle everywhere or walk, but when you have a disabled child that cannot, you need a car.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard Carlowe, Mrs B Waters
Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.879 seconds