pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: 'We really do have a neighbourhood' – the effect of the Fox Lane LTN

'We really do have a neighbourhood' – the effect of the Fox Lane LTN

Karl Brown

08 May 2021 06:26 #5982

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Change inevitably has impact(s), as Anne Leonidou alludes to, so it may be worth zooming out and considering her strong view of selfishness and inconsideration to others as they apply to transport. A real example may assist.
In late 2020 an Independent journalist wrote a letter critical of LTN’s. The same journalist had previously written about the benefit of a 1930’s installed LTN plus road filters, but no matter. The zoom-out to explore is his mentioned personal journey, disrupted by the Fox Lane LTN and its impact on local shops.
Living in an effective LTN behind Tatem Park, bounded by the main roads of Hedge Lane and the A10, the mentioned journey to the small shopping parade at Southgate Cherry Tree is roughly two miles. Pre LTN a reasonable assumption would be a (car) journey including Hedge Lane / Bourne and then utilising the Southgate 5 Ways bypass of Amberley / Mall, or alternatively Greenway / Meadway, to reach the Cherry Tree; both residential routes being in the million plus vehicles pa category and long-time full of resulting unhappy residents.
Post LTN, the journey would mean remaining on the Bourne until 5 Ways and then High street to reach the Chery Tree; a little longer, all on main roads and adding to traffic weight to the 5 Ways junction in particular.
Let’s ignore that there are 3 of Enfield’s 4 District Town centres closer than the Cherry Tree parade, as well as a plethora of local centres, as well as home delivery options, and instead focus on the transport hierarchy:
Walking. At a little under two miles, and with an option to enjoy Hazelwood Rec on the way, it’s a distance many would see as perfectly viable;
Cycling. Certainly a valid distance, although the absence of infrastructure in parts may hinder less confident cyclists;
Public transport. The W6 hopper provides a near door to door opportunity;
Private vehicle. Pre and post LTN routes are already mentioned. An alternate would be the movement of one planter and open up an alternate 5 Ways bypass along Oakfield Road to satisfy recent safety concerns related to low traffic levels on that particular street.
The spectrum is from libertarian, drive where you want to irrespective of others, to what about the others and so restricting where you can drive, right through to non-drive options. The Healthy Streets agenda of London’s Transport Strategy – and the investment that goes with it – is focused on this latter range.
The point here is not to point a finger at a journalist who has argued both ways as suits a purpose at the time but to try and draw out from one example journey, which is one of countless equivalent journeys going on all the time, the personal choices we all have before us for many of our journeys and how they may impact others. Within that, where selfishness and inconsiderate behaviour may lie arguably moves to a different orbit.
The letter in question is attached for completeness.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Georgina Kafetzis

09 May 2021 01:57 #5984

Who wrote this? Clearly somebody who has not driven in Palmers Green since this disaster happened. Instead of describing it like a Disney movie, a more realistic view should be written about, a view shared by many, even those living within the LTN area. This awful decision has made it unpleasant and impossible to live and drive comfortably in Palmers Green, made severely worse with the additions of these horrid boxes. The sooner the view of the many is listened too, the sooner this can be reversed and rectified.

Adrian Day

10 May 2021 15:46 #5985

Many anti-LTN campaigners claim that a majority (or 'the many') support their views. Multiple research surveys show the opposite is true and last week in north London the electorate spoke. Indeed anti-LTN campaign platforms proved disastrous for local candidates. There were four by-elections in Hackney - two prominent anti-LTN & ‘Horrendous Hackney Road Closures’ organisers stood to become Councillors in two of these.
Standing in Hoxton East & Shoreditch: Niall Crowley, endorsed by Lawrence Fox, writer for Spiked online & opinion pieces such as 'In defence of gentrification' received just 7.8% of the total votes. In comparison; the Greens received 16% and the Labour winner 53%. Candidate Clair Battaglino, on Twitter as 'Future Councillor' and ardent campaigner to remove LTNs received a mere 3.8% of total votes. The Labour candidate elected received 63%.
In neighbouring Islington, anti-LTN candidates also failed spectacularly. In St Peter's ward by-election, Jody Grabber, with the single policy of removing LTNs and who faces court charges of drug possession & violence next month, came last. Also in Islington, Bunhill ward anti-LTN candidate Martyn Perks came last. In Highbury West ward candidates of the parties promoting LTNs (Labour & Greens) received 73% of vote. Let the people decide!

Andy Barker

22 May 2021 11:08 #5990

The past week has been 'National Walk to School Week', when more children than ever have been seen walking and/or cycling to school.
On Wednesday the 19th a member of the One Community faction posted the following (of which this is a verbatim extract): “THE TRAFFIC ORDER APPEARS TO BE INVALID. THE CASH COW AT THE TOO OF CONWAY ROAD IS ADJACENT TO 111 FOX LANE, NOT 11 FOX LANE. I PLAN TO DRIVE THROUGH THE CONWAY ROAD (CLOSURE) POINT REPEATEDLY BETWEEN 3 AND 4PM today. ALL WELCOME TO JOIN, IN THEIR CARS OR JUST CHEERING FROM THE SIDELINES. TIME CHOSEN TO COINCIDE WITH SCHOOL RUN.”
This is one of the most thoughtless and boneheadedly stupid ideas so far from the anti-LTN faction. I understand that the Head Teacher of St Monicas had to send out an urgent message to warn parents of the proposal, and that the Police were eventually involved.
Do I take it that the anti's have now decided to move away from mere vitriol and vandalism towards the much more dangerous scenario of targeting children?
As of yet, I have seen no denouncements or apologies for the proposed actions from anyone, including the Residents' Association .
A sorry state of affairs indeed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Emma Maloney

Adrian Day

22 May 2021 12:49 #5991

Fully agree. Credit to the Winchmore Police for reacting quickly and stopping the person who suggested this crazy idea and him giving a stern lecture. Whatever your views on the LTN inciting people to drive through a closed road during school trip hours is shocking.

Moderator's note: Please do not post any further comments on the incident on 19th May to this forum thread. Instead, please post to this topic .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Emma Maloney

Nigel Gibbs

22 Feb 2022 20:49 #6388

Personally, I thought it was a very good article, a bit flowery but in essence, it does describe a much improved and pleasant situation. I can remember the day when we were about to exchange contracts on our house in Derwent Road in June 2020, I was standing in the street looking up at the house when behind me a car shot past, going from Fox Lane to Aldermans Hill, he must have been doing 40-50 mph easily. The driver, you know the type, head down, couldn't give a damn for anybody else, he would never have been able to stop had there been something or someone in his way or stepped out into the street. I remember actually regretting that we were about to move in. It wasn't long afterwards that the LTN was in place and I remember feeling so relieved, happy actually that this had been done. I get fed up sometimes when I come back from Southgate or Enfield Town that I have to take the long way but I don't mind, I would much rather that, than have obnoxious motorists speeding up and down as they cut through, or arguing with oncoming motorists, possibly residents of the road, as to who can pass who first. No, the LTN is not ideal but the lesser of the two evils for sure.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.685 seconds