pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Police intervene as anti-LTN campaigner incites dangerous lawbreaking

Police intervene as anti-LTN campaigner incites dangerous lawbreaking

PGC Webmaster

27 May 2021 12:28 #6026

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Neil Littman wrote:

I don't really want to get into the pro's and cons of the story itself (which I think was a bit of a non-story) but I find it odd that whenever an article is published dealing with traffic issues or LTNs the feedback is nearly always from the same two or three individuals. Am beginning to wonder; 1. How many people actually read this newsletter every week? 2. Why nobody else engages with it? Just curious.

Because it's not Facebook or Twitter. People read and only post if they have something useful to say that hasn't already been said a million times. Every week around 650 people open the newsletter, the website is visited by eight or nine thousand people a week.

In this case, there's nothing useful to add, the action has been roundly condemned by everyone except you. Would you want your kids or grandchildren to be at the mercy of SUV drivers deliberatedly driving along a stretch of road where they have the right to assume that there won't be any cars?

By the way, this is the third or fourth time you've asked the same question - no more, please.

As for "pro's and con's", do you really think that there are any pro's to this outrageous and dangerous call for people to break the law? If so, please keep away from these forums and see aa doctor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Phillips, Sue Hicketts
The topic has been locked.

Adrian Day

29 May 2021 08:29 #6027

In this case perhaps it’s because most people feel that inciting dangerous actions against children is reprehensible (the Police certainly did). Even the anti-Ltn group, One Community, has distanced themselves from this particularly nasty provocation. It may also be that many of the high traffic neighbourhood supporters don’t want to actually engage sensibly - less that 200 people joined the Council’s useful and helpful webinar on the FoxLane LTN this week out of a Borough of several hundred thousand and a neighbourhood population of around 3500. Many of the opponents’ questions on pollution, monitoring, process and consultation were addressed in the q and a, but they weren’t present to listen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sue Hicketts

John Phillips

29 May 2021 19:02 #6030

I was rather shocked when I read this story. Is this a sign of desperation as the LTN becmes increasingly popular? Or does it mean the anti-social behaviour and petty vandalism of the opponents of the LTN is not working and they now have to step up their campaign? It would be a great shame as rational debate is more productive.

Surely it is better to address the issues:

What can be done to protect quiet residential side streets from huge volumes of traffic caused by sat-navs?

What improvements (and there are several) could be made to the peripheral roads to improve traffic flow at certain times?

Is the extra Covid traffic, noticeable all over London suburbs, distorting the LTN trial?

On the plus side, It was great to read the story of two car thieves being arrested after a police chase last week because they were caught by the filter in Grovelands Road. To quote my neighbour: 'That's one up to the LTN!'

Sue Beard

03 Jun 2021 23:22 #6037

Well I do but I find reading about behaviour exhibited by some parties depressing so I don’t feel chatty

Neil Littman

10 Jun 2021 16:00 #6051

The population of the borough is not several hundred thousand. It's 338,000.

Adrian Day

10 Jun 2021 22:50 #6052

Which is several hundred thousand (definition of several = more than two but not many) . But to use your more precise figure, less than 200 people in a population of 338,000 bothered logging onto a Council webinar on the Q and A. Even allowing for the young, those incapacitated or working, those who don't have an internet connection etc - it's a surprisingly low number. Though it's significantly more than the 61 residents out of 338,000 who have thought it worthwhile contributing to a fund to oppose the Fox Lane LTN.
Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.769 seconds