Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Topic: New chance to comment on Fox Lane LTN

New chance to comment on Fox Lane LTN
24 Nov 2021 08:43 #6259

Share this forum post share on facebook icon share on twitter icon

Reasonable points and the precautionary principle is inevitably a good yardstick to employ but the traffic picture in London / Enfield / locally is more than air pollution in any or all of its several forms. Personally I would never lead the case for LTNs on air quality. Where I see the government and Mayor is in seeking ways to tackle the issue of congestion before everything grinds to a halt. It’s a dire problem, also causing adverse externalities and forecast to get so much worse that it’s unsustainable. The intro section to the London Transport Strategy 2018, confirmed in 2021, paints a good summary. I think the UK figures go something like 1m+ vehicles in the 60’s, roughly 40m now and one government scenario putting the possible increase at a further 51% by ?DATE? I guess that’s a worst case line but clearly road space hasn’t increased at anything remotely approaching that rate, and barely at all in London and roads also have to absorb much bigger cars (+30% or so in size over the period). Something has to give. There is and long has been any amount of bad congestion not so distant and independent of any LTN impact.
The UK’s top air quality man puts it this way, if AQ is the focus then to travel, walk, else cycle, else use public transport and if none of those is possible and you must drive then do so using the cleanest meant possible, I guess he means electric. I always thought it was perfect guiding principle for the issues we face.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adrian Day

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Nov 2021 07:25 #6262

My understanding of what Karl Brown was saying was that predicting, on first principles, the outcome of changes in traffic arrangements, particularly on local levels of vehicle emissions, is complex and subject to many variables. There are academic examples on the Web and they are not simple. However, the Council has not tried to do that. It has effected a change and has endeavoured to measure the outcome across a number of parameters, an experimental rather than theoretical approach, if you like. There will be data next year. I'm sure there will be a spirited discussion over its interpretation.
To take one effect of vehicle use, there is no solution to the current climate problem that does not involve less driving. There is likely to be some form of road pricing before the end of decade, both for this reason and because the Treasury is going to have to recover the taxes lost in fuel duty involved in the switch to electric cars.

25 Nov 2021 08:06 #6263

Some really interesting posts here but I still don’t understand why the answer to too much and increasing traffic is letting all roads be treated as main roads.

25 Nov 2021 09:27 #6266

Hi Peter,

Maybe have a look at this link and remember it's up to you to start making the change:

www.pgweb.uk/forum/road-traffic/1331-if-we-all-choose-the-fastest-mode-of-travel-in-a-city-the-whole-city-gets-slower#6260

Paul.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds