pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Council leader approves making Bowes LTN scheme permanent

Council leader approves making Bowes LTN scheme permanent

Adrian Day

09 Jan 2022 13:41 #6323

The following user(s) said Thank You: John Phillips

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bowes LTN decision "called in" by opposition councillors

PGC Webmaster

12 Jan 2022 20:00 #6329

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

The decision to make the Bowes LTN permanent has now been officially "called in" by seven councillors and will be debated by a meeting of the Oversight and Scrutiny Committee on 20th January.

The committee will decide to do one of the following:

(a) It will refer the decision back to the council leader, who then has 14 working days in which to reconsider the decision; or
(b) It will refer the matter to full council;
(c) It will confirm the original decision.

The grounds given for calling in the council leader's decision are too long to summarise!

Scrutiny committee confirms Bowes LTN decision

PGC Webmaster

22 Jan 2022 17:35 #6353

At its meeting on 20th January the Overview and Scrutiny debated the "call in" of the council leader's decision to make the Bowes LTN permanent. Opposition councillors from the Conservative and Community First groups argued that collection and analysis of data before and during trial operation was inadequate and the decision should be referred back to the leader, but they were outvoted by Labour members of the commmittee.

Enfield Dispatch has a detailed report on the meeting .

Geoff Walsh

28 Jan 2022 09:53 #6363

I am aghast at the way Enfield council has ridden rough shod over the residents of Enfield .
You have created a nightmare on major roads with access restrictions resulting in high polluting static traffic .
Whilst some streets enjoy low traffic and emissions , the rest of us are stifling under a huge major cock up by taking away access routes .
Traffic monitoring was done at a time when the roads were at their quietest , during lockdown ...there has been majoR objections to the road closures and I feel confident that the residents of Enfield will make there voices heard at the next local elections .
How dare you Enfield , for making our lives more miserable .

Adrian Day

28 Jan 2022 11:00 #6364

The Council doesn't generate traffic - drivers do that www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/25/rat-running-residential-uk-streets-satnav-apps . And research study after research study shows people support measures to reduce car use and encourage active travel. In the Fox Lane LTN traffic within the neighbourhood is down 72% and only 6% up on boundary roads. And cycling is up 121%. We need to end all high traffic neighbourhoods in Enfield.

Ediz Mevlitt

28 Jan 2022 21:18 #6366

It just pushes it onto others for longer hours instead giving the residents living in the LTN a utopia polluting children like mine for much longer hours … I’m disgusted in my fellow cycling community for choosing to pollute children like mine for self gain …. Roll on May !!!

Karl Brown

30 Jan 2022 09:25 #6367

The optimal way to reduce traffic-originated pollution has to be to reduce traffic. All of Enfield has been an air quality action area for years. Everyone will have suffered, and still is. Last week Mayor Khan targeted 2030 for a minimum 27% drop in London’s vehicle miles to improve air quality. This is an aggressive intent. I hope there is the necessary wider political, business and resident support for what I assume will necessarily include measures such as disincentives to personal vehicle travel, incentives for active travel, enhanced public transport and ideally car share schemes so as to mitigate against the small marginal costs of occasional journeys for car owners where alternatives exist.
I’d like to see woodturning stoves added to his air-cleaning task; recent data on their impact to both the owning households and the wider population is horrendous.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adrian Day

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.729 seconds