pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: When will people start driving more carefully?

When will people start driving more carefully?

Basil Clarke

15 Mar 2017 19:39 #2881

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Bourne Hill junction with Green Lanes, 14th March. Yet another "accident" at this dangerous junction that people go through much too fast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Darren Edgar

16 Mar 2017 12:35 #2885

Not sure I ever really see people driving through here 'too quickly'.

All generally pretty slow moving.

Accident risks normally are more to do with the two lanes entering the junction from Green Lanes with drivers trying to go straight on via both but blocked by right turning traffic.

I suspect this accident was much more likely caused by this, not speed.

Colin Younger

16 Mar 2017 12:55 #2887

The problem here is that traffic queues across this wide junction waiting to turn right or left into Hedge Lane or Bourne Hill. Drivers try to thread through the opposing queue, while traffic is moving along the nearside lane, but this traffic can't be seen by cars making such a manoeuvre. I narrowly escaped being harpooned by someone taking a chance that the nearside lane had no traffic moving though. My speed certainly wasn't the cause.

It's not clear whether this junction is being made safer, though I raised it in comments on cycle-enfield. Perhaps it needs to be made a box junction.

Chrystalla Georgiou

24 Mar 2017 16:21 #2902

Viewing the image of this particular vehicle, it seems from my own personal theory of the accident the driver suddenly decided to change direction. Therefore, instead of continuing along Green Lanes they suddenly decided with bad timing to manoeuvred with speed into Bourne Hill and as a result ended up skidding into the pedestrian island. Thank goodness there was no pedestrians on the island crossing.

As a pedestrian I often cross this particular crossing and I always find myself ruining across despite the Pedestrian Lights Signalling Green, in order to avoid the heavy stream of cars turning left into Bourne Hill crossing from the Northbound Green Lanes direction.

What is essentially required is Arrow Traffic Lights for cars turning left into Bourne Hill so that when it is the Pedestrians time to cross they can cross very safety without having to run for their lives.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.702 seconds