pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: This iconic clock is in need of some TLC

This iconic clock is in need of some TLC

PGC Webmaster

31 Dec 2016 20:00 #2546

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Sue Beard has posted a close-up photo of the clock above the shop at 349 Green Lanes, which at one time belonged to to a jeweller called Bourlet. Head over to Palmers Green Jewel in the North for the full size photo and for another photo showing a trace left behind by this long closed business. There's also a picture on Flickr .

It would certainly be good to have the clock restored and better still if it started showing the right time!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chrystalla Georgiou

06 Jan 2017 22:57 #2575

Firstly, Happy New Year 2017 to all.

I am so glad that this very attractive looking clock in PG is being highlighted. It nearly always catches my eye as I am walking on the other side of the road and more often then not wonder why those responsible for the area have not initiated the clocks repair.

Also, another public clock that needs repairing in PG is the one on the building called the Clock house facing the North Circular. Undoubtedly, the whole Clock house building was named after this particular clock.

Despite wrist watches and modern technology I find public clocks invaluable and they give such an attractive appearance to the area.

I have to reveal that my favourite public clock in North London is definitely the one standing proudly above the old Southgate Town Hall, now of course called Prytaneum Court - Hollybrook, which is situated near the PG Library. I love the way it illuminates the time clearly after dark.

Those who first build the area along with those early shop-keepers appreciated the importance of attention to detail.

Karl Brown

26 Jan 2017 18:55 #2647

The group of eminent scientists behind the "Doomsday Clock" has moved its time to 30 seconds closer to midnight. The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists Science and Security Board began publicly adjusting the clock to reflect shifting threats to the world since 1947. On this 70th anniversary of that annual display, members moved the clock from three minutes to midnight to half a minute closer to an apocalypse. The only time that the clock was closer to midnight was in 1959, when it was held at 2 minutes.
The PG clock, showing at 6 minutes past midnight, presumably reflects the long trailed Green Lanes’ Cycle Lane Armageddon now that the work has actually commenced.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.588 seconds