pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Friends needed!

Friends needed!

Adrian Day

29 Mar 2017 23:31 #2935

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

The Friends of the Lakes Estate Conservation Area does an invaluable job monitoring planning applications and ensuring the visual integrity of the Estate is maintained.

We urgently need new members to continue the good work - ideally a 'Friend' in every street in the Estate. Please let me know if you'd like a chat to discuss the role.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Friends needed!

PGC Webmaster

29 Mar 2017 23:52 #2937

PGC has a whole section with information about the Lakes Estate and the Friends of the Lakes Estate.

www.pgweb.uk/friends-of-the-lakes-estate-conservation-area
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adrian Day

Friends needed!

Darren Edgar

07 Apr 2017 10:48 #2962

'Invaluable'??

Friends needed!

Adrian Day

17 Apr 2017 15:44 #2982

'Invaluable' if you believe in protecting the aesthetic and built environment of the Lakes Estate, certainly as seen from the public domain. I guess not so if you don't!

Friends needed!

Darren Edgar

28 Apr 2017 16:27 #2997

Some of the suggestions and responses I've seen are verging on prepsoterous, let alone 'invaluable'.

Friends needed!

Colin Younger

28 Apr 2017 18:35 #2998

Which particular "suggestions and responses" draw your ire? Why do you think that they are "verging on the preposterous"? Could you give reasoned responses?

I ask as someone who has devoted considerable time and effort over the last six years to attempting to "preserve and improve" the character of the Lakes Conservation area in line with the planning legislation which supports such conservation areas.

I am no longer the Chair or a member of the Lakes group, but law, logic and reason are what has guided us, and I believe that these will continue to guide the group.

Of course if you don't believe in the concept of conservation areas then that's another matter.

Friends needed!

Adrian Day

30 Apr 2017 13:30 #3002

Thanks David - it would be good to hear some examples (unsubstantiated comments can cause significant reputational damage to a group that are doing excellent work to protect the built environment). Suggest we take this offline - when could we meet to discuss?

Friends needed!

Darren Edgar

28 Jun 2017 12:00 #3049

Feel free to DM me. I won't name publically but a neighbour has recently had to put in applications a second time for like for like (literally identical, reviewed myself) window replacement. Some of the comments back were absurd e.g. all wood and stonework on the house has been painted cream/off-white for decades yet they were told the window frames had to be white. That isn't conservation, that is a lack of common sense that would have resulted in a horrendously ugly facade - unless also forcing them to repaint the entire front house.

I believe in conservation, not blinkered nimbyism. Real conservation and preservation requires investment not retardation such as that shown in the example above. Refusal to allow owners of real estate to invest in their properties will only result in degradation over time - total disincentivisation to invest.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.706 seconds