pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Broomfield Park Stableyard Fire

Broomfield Park Stableyard Fire

Karl Brown

30 Apr 2017 08:20 #2999

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Eight fire tenders and at least two fire control units were said to have been at the fire which destroyed (?) the old barn in Broomfield Park’s stableyard last evening at about 9pm. Three tenders remained on site this morning continuing to pour water into the building.

Last evening hoses were run from fire hydrants from as far away as outside Euronics on Aldermans Hill, thereafter running the full length of Broomfield Avenue and along Broomfield Lane to the fire scene, with fire tenders and blue lights spanning most of the length.

Long term damage to the old wall facing Broomfield Lane and non-wooden parts of the building itself are not clear but things don’t look too good. The Remembrance Garden backs onto the scene and so must stand at some risk of damage given the scale of the fire
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Colin Younger

30 Apr 2017 11:05 #3000

Arson is almost certainly to blame for last night’s fire which has destroyed the interiors and roofing of the Garden House which runs along Broomfield Lane at the rear of the Broomfield House stable yard. The stables themselves appear to be undamaged. Council officers are examining the structural integrity of the Grade II listed walls to ensure public safety.

The early 19th century stable yard buildings are included in the Broomfield House Partnership Board’s work on the future of Broomfield House. One option considered is to convert these buildings, including the Garden House in to managed artists’ studios. It is too early to be able to assess the implications of this fire on the whole project, but it’s not likely to be good news.

We may know more by the Trust's AGM on 9 May at the United Reform Church Fox Lane at 7.30.

Colin Younger
Chair,
The Broomfield House Trust
Attachments:

Colin Younger

30 Apr 2017 11:23 #3001

On second thoughts, there may be more damage to the stables than I originally thought since these buildings join on to the stables.

John Worsley

03 May 2017 15:51 #3003

It was extremely fortunate that I was passing as the first signs of smoke from the fire appeared over the wall on Broomfield Lane and I immediately called 999. I saw three teenage lads pass by at the same time and noticed they were taking pictures of the smoke on their phones before walking away into the park - I confronted them about an hour later as they were watching the scene unfold and asked if they knew anything about it, or perhaps had seen anyone else in the area, which they didn't/hadn't. I asked why they were taking photos and they said "wouldn't you if you saw smoke?" to which I replied "No, I dialled the emergency services and suggest in future that you do the same!" I hope the building can be saved and guess the only saving grace is that no one was hurt.

Colin Younger

05 May 2017 19:19 #3006

Council officers have visited the site with Historic England’s structural engineer. Given the loss of the Garden House roof, the two chimney stacks have been left with limited support and will need to be partially dismantled. The bricks will be salvaged and stored. Scaffolding will be erected to facilitate this.

Chrystalla Georgiou

06 May 2017 19:11 #3007

As a suggestion, it maybe a good idea to place a CCTV Camera nearby in order to hinder such vandalism ever happening again.

Strangely, people of no good morals are offend drawn to neglected buildings/areas.

Colin Younger

06 May 2017 20:22 #3008

There are already CCTV cameras which have been effective in detecting and then identifying troublemakers in the stableyard. Additional cameras were to be added to cover the rear of these properties after problems in the week or so before the fire, but I don't think that there had been time to install them. There are other CCTV cameras in the park.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.822 seconds