pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: A105 cycle lanes - shared space

A105 cycle lanes - shared space

Darren Edgar

13 Jan 2020 11:06 #5117

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Klem Klem wrote:

So far as I am concerned The Green lane cycle lanes are a disaster, and the small stretch that I use on my commute is by far the most stressful and potentially dangerous part of my journey, being littered with plastic poles, half dinner plates (actually set in the cycleway), razor sharp granite kerb-stones, ramped sctions, bus stops, and pedestrians. The cycle lanes have even been driven through the middle of the pavement through the Palmers Green shopping frontage! Cycle Enfield have effectively legalized cycling on the pavement! Which may be ok for ladies with baskets and flowers and young children but not so for middle aged male commuters.

The team really should have spent time in City of London and Westminster (rather than Holland) to appreciate how cycle lanes can be made to work properly for all road and pavement users in London.

Originally announced as dedicated cycle-ways as these lanes have subsequently been labelled as Shared Spaces!

Some interesting points. As a 3-4,000 mile a year commuter into Central London it slightly surprises me that you find the EMH cycle lanes so uncomfortable - they are the best 1 mile of my commute. I instantly relax when I hit them as I can slow down, feel safe and no longer need to take a "vehicular cyclist" stance. Compared to coming up through Wood Green or going down Seven Sisters Road etc they as an oasis!! (IMO)

Must question how you've concluded that lessons could be learnt from Westminster or City though. Pretty much any cycling campaigner (see LCC in partic) will tell you that Westminster is the most disgustingly anti-cycling borough in the city. Provision is utterly terrible. And in the City, "superhighways" aside (which were a Boris/Mayoral scheme not related to the borough) I can't think of many/any examples of safe segregated cycle routes. Just painted lanes.

Finally, when did the EMH lanes become shared spaces? I can't remember seeing any of the blue signs to that effect.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Darren Edgar

20 Jan 2020 14:34 #5140

Klem Klem wrote:

Originally announced as dedicated cycle-ways as these lanes have subsequently been labelled as Shared Spaces!

@KlemKlem - I asked about this previously. I went the length of the lanes this morning in PG and there is not a single sign indicating the lanes are "shared spaces". Were you deliberately lying or just confused?

Or is there another stretch to which your hyperbolic response pertains?

Darren Edgar

20 Jan 2020 14:34 #5141

Klem Klem wrote:

@KlemKlem - I asked about this previously. I went the length of the lanes this morning in PG and there is not a single sign indicating the lanes are "shared spaces". Where did you conclude these were now "shared spaces" from?

Or is there another stretch to which your hyperbolic response pertains?

Colin Younger

20 Jan 2020 14:39 #5142

David,
Can you not comment without suggesting someone is lying? You tone is simply unacceptable.

Darren Edgar

20 Jan 2020 14:56 #5143

I asked whether they were lying or not. Simple question. The vitriolic nature of the post combined with false information would imply it was not exactly an honest mistake. Will edit though.

Klem Klem

24 Jan 2020 14:55 #5167

I haven't been here for a few days.

Walking from Palmeston Crescent to Hedge Lane this morning I passed at least half a dozen "shared space" signs. 80mm blue/white discs on posts about 2'6" off the ground. I'd display the photos here if I knew how to.

Outside 466 Green Lanes is a classic, with universally accepted "shared Space" sign (cycle over pedestrian| on 1 side, and a different sign on the other side, which depending on which LA guidelines are consulted, could also be taken as "shared space" or "separated tracks for cyclist and pedestrians" (only they are shown the wrong way round!)

Surprisingly there is no similar signage where the cycle lane has been driven through the middle of the pavement along the main shopping frontage.

It is highly likely that very few people have ever even noticed these signs. Certainly not Mr Eden. You sir should apologize.

I expect there are other posts here worthy of a response, and I'll likely be back soon.

Klem Klem

24 Jan 2020 15:50 #5168

Just a few of the "shared space" signs adjacent cycle lanes through PG so thoughtfully provided by Cycle Enfield.
See how many more you can spot next time you are out in Green Lanes Mr Eden.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: roger dougall

Darren Edgar

24 Jan 2020 15:57 #5169

Thank you. So these are specific to the bus stop bypasses which, naturally, are shared spaces. The whole scheme therefore is not designated a "shared space" which explains the lack of signage to that effect.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.852 seconds