pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: A105 cycle lanes - shared space

A105 cycle lanes - shared space

David Hughes

25 Jan 2020 22:36 #5170

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

I think that we should be careful about using the term 'Shared Space' when referring to the cycle lanes: strictly speaking Shared Space is an area where traffic, cyclists and walkers mingle together in a particular space, often a without any type barrier. Cycle Lane remains the correct name for a defined space for cyclists alone travelling in a single direction, even when the cycle lanes borders the pavement in a shopping area.

Reading some of the contributions to this thread it all seems a bit of a muddle. I suspect that the so-called Shared Space at the bus stops is being used because people cross the cycle lanes when getting on or of buses. Ideally the Council should have found a better name, but I can imagine it is difficult to do that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Darren Edgar

27 Jan 2020 09:18 #5171

"Shared Space" is a very specific term in the context of road & traffic law. It refers to those areas specifically designated as such by blue signs with both peds and cycles noted.

The EMH lanes have this signs just where the bus stop by-passes are as, logically, peds have to walk across the cycle lanes for ingress/egress to buses therefore by definition the spaces are shared and the signs put there to highlight this (presumably to tackle some cyclists intent on whizzing through as if part of the rest of the cycle lane).

The rest of the EMH lanes, as far as I have seen, are only for cycles and have no shared space signage. Quite specifically they have blue signs with only cycles noted. Therefore, quite specifically, these lanes have not now been turned into shared spaces as erroneously claimed.

Michael Hobbs

30 Jan 2020 18:12 #5180

How they are designated or signed may not be the issue. From a behavioural perspective, cyclists are having to adjust quickly to too many environments, where different sets of rules apply. Meanwhile, people leaving buses step onto what they may assume to be a normal pavement. These bus passengers simply don't look left as they leave the door of the bus. Why would they? There are no visual indicators to suggest that they are stepping into the path of cyclists.

David Hughes

03 Feb 2020 23:17 #5202

Before a decision was made to implement the construction of cycle lanes on the A105 Green Lanes the Council consulted widely - including abroad where cycling is much more common - on the possible solutions to the 'bus stop' problem. Therefore I doubt very much whether there will be a significant dificulty with the solution chosen for Enfield, although I understand that London's bus services are not replicated in any country abroad.

Personally I think bus users and cyclists will soon learn to manage the situation, and problems will be rare. I use both the buses and my 'bike' and have so far not seen a problem.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.688 seconds