pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Six new trees for Palmers Green Triangle

Six new trees for Palmers Green Triangle

Colin Younger

03 Feb 2017 23:58 #2674

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

triangle visualisation croppedThe latest news about the Triangle from Richard Eason, Cycle Enfield Consultation Manager, is that the plans include six new trees. Five of these are intended to be ‘heavy standard’ trees (three located around HSBC and two by Starbucks). The sixth tree will be a semi-mature tree to be placed in the middle of the triangle.

So essentially as captured in the attached visualisation, though the positioning of the clock is yet to be agreed.

Visualisation of Palmers Green Triangle after Cycle Enfield works

Work on the triangle is currently scheduled towards to the end of the programme, so work should be completed over the summer (although other work in Palmers Green between Hedge Lane and Fox Lane will start sooner).

The topic has been locked.

Chrystalla Georgiou

10 Feb 2017 20:54 #2720

Is that all, six trees for PG around the Triangle area? I suppose given that we now have a lack of trees in the main public area of PG we should be very grateful that our area is being given six trees.

However, as somebody who deeply cares about the environment and about life in general I am very dishearten.

Centrally, Enfield Council had been given sufficient amount of money to bring about the cycle lanes in PG surely there is more then enough money for more then just six trees. Those that are responsible for the area know that Green Lanes on both sides of the infamous busy North Circular in PG has very heavy, noisy traffic and that the Cycle Lanes will not be applied to the south of PG. Six trees are no way enough.

Various deceases are on the rise, mental issues such as depression is on the rise because the atmosphere is unhealthy and yet those that are responsible for our area do not seem to comprehend that a void of Trees in our environment is actually very dangerous to health, hence the burden on the NHS. It is also known that a greener area make people feel good and the area is respected far more.

Trees absorb the negative forces in our atmosphere and help combat the noise from traffic. Sufficient trees are required (some evergreen trees for winter time) along the whole of Green Lanes in street containers as they have in central London and in Cities and Towns abroad, also further trees in the centre bay of the North Circular with the vicinity.

Its simple, if we want to exist in a healthy environment then we must have sufficent trees.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Freny Green

Bill Linton

10 Feb 2017 21:27 #2723

I would second your plea for more trees, but to be fair to the council the Cycle Enfield money in ringfenced - it has to be used to promote cycling - and the council are extremely strapped for cash after the swingeing cuts in their government grant (with more to come).

Lots of people have been pleading for the replacement of the one tree we lost at the Triangle, so 6 is a gift! In fact it might be better to spread the 6 trees out a bit more: if they all grow to maturity it's going to get quite crowded there!

N Morris

10 Feb 2017 21:44 #2726

Referring to the final consultation plans for the scheme there were to be 11 new trees introduced to the high street and 11 further trees on/either side of the Triangle.

Basil Clarke

10 Feb 2017 23:48 #2729

N Morris wrote:

Referring to the final consultation plans for the scheme there were to be 11 new trees introduced to the high street and 11 further trees on/either side of the Triangle.

Interesting. Are you able to point us to the document where they said this?

Freny Green

11 Feb 2017 08:28 #2732

Why don't we raise funds and pay for our own trees?

N Morris

11 Feb 2017 09:30 #2733

cycleenfield.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/A105-Statutory-Drawings-web-version.pdf

The key shows the difference between existing trees and proposed trees.

Colin Younger

11 Feb 2017 13:37 #2735

I don't know whether this July 2016 plan is the final one. The Triangle illustration and the text suggests that it may not be. I went on a tree walk in November arranged by Councillor Dinah Barry with the Senior Arboricultural Officer who suggested, to the best of my memory, that there was about to be a meeting to finalise details along the whole route. Again as I recall it there likely to be a slight increase in the total tree numbers. I seem to recall however that some shown "as existing" near St Monica's were likely to be removed because of interference with the relocated bus stop.

As I've discovered on previous such walks, there are increasing problems in finding places to plant street trees because of cross-overs, lamp posts, gas, water, electricity and fibre services, opposition from residents, potential damage to pavements and on main routes traffic/pedestrian visibility, and the need not to plant trees which when mature impede buses. My impression is that the tree officers are keen to plant trees and safeguard existing ones, but the need to avoid such problems often frustrates their ambitions, even when money is available.

I'll follow this up with the arboriculturists to see whether they can confirm planting plans in Palmers Green.
Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.540 seconds