pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Rear garden on Lakeside Road flooding A LOT lately (after rain)

Rear garden on Lakeside Road flooding A LOT lately (after rain)

Michael O'Connor

21 Feb 2021 20:31 #5896

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Hi I think this forum section is the only place this post can go; mods please move it to appropriate section if you know of one.

Anyway yes, I live on Lakeside Road N13 (Lakes Estate) around a 3rd of the way up the road. I've noticed lately the bottom of the rear garden has been flooding massively! It has always gotten a little soggy as the garden is on a very gentle, barely visible incline and it dips down a little around 3 quarters of the way down, then back up, but it's never been this water logged.

Now, every time it rains that dip 3/4 of the way down fills with around 4 inches of water, and the water also runs about halfway back up the garden too. No work has ever been done in the garden. The garden dries out somewhat, but it will stay flooded like that and take a very long time to drain, for at least 2 days after rain.

I'd say it's only been flooding this much in the last 3-4 months. I fear it may have something to do with a burst or blocked pipe under the garden; coincidentally Thames Water have been doing work on the water pipes in these roads in the last few months so it would seem to coincide with this. There is also a very large tree on the left side of the garden, near the bottom, the roots of which have pushed up a lot of the paving down the left edge of the garden. I'm thinking maybe a root has damaged a pipe. We haven't experienced any problems with water pressure inside the house (although that would only mean that the pipes serving our house our fine), it doesn't necessarily rule out the possibility of a damaged pipe under the garden.

Has anyone else had any experience of this happening? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ulric von Bek

22 Feb 2021 14:19 #5897

I think you might find the root of the problem on the old Ordnance Survey map here: maps.nls.uk/view/102345934#zoom=6&lat=2530&lon=5637&layers=BT

Colin Younger

22 Feb 2021 17:58 #5898

I would doubt that there are significant water pipes behind houses in Lakeside Road. Usually they run along the street line, which is where Thames Water have been working. If it's a domestic extension which is leaking then it should show on your meter, or on your neighbours' if there is leak under their properties.

It may be different if you were at the bottom of Derwent Road, where the houses were built over the large lake which was there, and cellars might still flood.

Ulric von Bek

22 Feb 2021 20:03 #5899

There must be a spring there which used to feed the ponds. It is a question of where the water goes now. If the ground in that area is naturally boggy, it might just be the place where the water now ends up. It has to go somewhere. It has been a very wet start to the year.

PGC Webmaster

24 Feb 2021 22:46 #5903

Ulric pointed us in the direction of the National Library of Scotland maps website. A feature of this is that you can superimpose an old map on a modern map and play around with the opacity of the top layer so that you can see both at once. Click here to see the maps.

I've copied the relevant area with and without the modern map showing. As you can see, Derwent Road goes right over the top of the former pond, but Lakeside Road misses it.

I've also looked at a modern map of groundwater flood risk in the borough and superimposed a street map on top of it.

If Im correct in my assumption that the green shading shows areas at risk, It turns out that large parts of Palmers Green are in the flood risk area (probably less of a worry than being at risk of surface water flooding). You can find the map at the end of this document: www.planvu.co.uk/enfield/written/dmd/appendix.php

The pink line is Lakeside Road. Only a small part of Lakeside Road is in the flood risk area - is this where the house in question is located? Unless of course, my assumption about the meaning of the green is wrong.

There's probably enough of interest in this old map archive to see us through another year of lockdown!

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.732 seconds