pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Funfairs and circus in Broomfield Park

Funfairs and circus in Broomfield Park

J B

26 May 2018 11:22 #3868

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

As a resident that backs on to Broomfield Park, I wanted to start a thread relating to events in the Park

Just had one bank holiday with the fair, basically as the fair is located outside my back door we and the residents have to endure alot of noise reaching the ridiculous
" paid now for the next ride" repeats in my brain I am not joking !
No warnings re the circus arrival, nice sound of motorbikes in the evening competing with my TV
I understand these events probably fund the park through licence fees .
Who decides where these fairs and circuses pitch why are they now always in the playground field? why are they pitching nearest to the houses, can they not pitch towards the mini golf area or in the upper field behind the lakes. Not always beside the houses. It also amounts to pester power for parents using the playground, a trip to the fair cost me £ 50 for less than 20 mins. I do not mind the fairs and the circuses coming and I hope they raise lots of money for the council to fund our precious green spaces and for the local shops etc but consideration for those living beside the park needs to be taken in to account. Look forward to your views

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Adrian Day

26 May 2018 12:30 #3869

Some good points. I too welcome the fair and circus (and welcomed them more when the children were young!). Not sure why the location isn't rotated - in the past the circus would go to the west end of the Park - much fairer to residents in the east side given the inevitable noise. Suspect that's a question to put to your Councillors. And I agree there should be some advance warning - at least then residents could plan around the disruption.

Colin Younger

27 May 2018 11:25 #3872

The issue with holding fairs etc on the main park, towards Powys Lane, is that access is poor for heavy vehicles and more damage is done to the ground and potentially to the newly planted tree avenues, where drainage is a problem. It's no comfort to those near the sports field, but it has to be a consideration.
The following user(s) said Thank You: J B

Simon Kaye

27 May 2018 22:03 #3873

J B, I quite agree with your comments. First time poster on this site, though I do follow the often lively debate. I live on Broomfield Avenue (the lower part), and though my garden doesn’t back out onto the park, the park is viewable (and the noise is thus in earshot) of my house.

Both the recent fair, and now the circus have gone on late with their thumping music, and it is immensely distressing to have ones hard earned bank holiday weekends ruined by noise. I have written to the local councillor, Daniel Anderson () and suggest others do too. I have also contacted the Broomfield Home Owners and Residents Association (BHORA) for their view.

The Council’s Parks ‘strategy’ ( governance.enfield.gov.uk/documents/s63533/ESSP1101%20Enfield%20Parks%20Event%20Strategy%202017-2022.pdf ) says that local residents are to be consulted regarding these events, though I can’t see this has been adhered to.

Last year the fair brought an arson attack to the stables and this year we’ve had a stabbing. The events disturb local residents, make the park less usable for families on the bank holiday, breach noise regulations and bring noise, mess and further congestion to the area given the fact that parking on Broomfield Lane is a free-for-all, and with no safe crossings to boot.

As a community we want to see PG ‘go up in the world’. Residents in Muswell Hill or Crouch End wouldn’t be subjected to this excessive noise so close to residents. Why can it be allowed here? I would hope that if the council needs to monetise the park that we, as a community, can find more inclusive, less intrusive and more beneficial events for everyone.

In summary, if the fair or circus never came to town again I’d be delighted, but if they are to be here then the excessive noise must be curbed.

Note by forum administrator: Edited in July 2022 to reflect the new link to the events strategy document.

Darren Edgar

28 May 2018 09:44 #3874

Residents in Muswell Hill go through a lot of pain every time a major event is held in Ally Pally, especially from returning revellers.

Crouch End doesn't have a park...unless you count FInny P and I am certain the residents can here the racket from wireless every year!

Speaking of which, I FOI'd Haringey about that, as someone who rides through the park twice a day Mon-Fri and often used to run it on a Saturday, FP gets whored out more than any park in London I think, certainly any 'local' park. They were making a couple of million from Wireless!!! And were keen to point out that the festival is also required to pay compensationary amounts into the local community and businesses, maybe PG could benefit from some of that rather than just topping up and under funded Enfield council treasury pot......

J B

28 May 2018 10:20 #3877

Thanks Simon I will contact councillor Anderson to share my views, yes I read the parks strategy and saw that there should be some consultation
I will start rabble rousing !!

J B

28 May 2018 10:20 #3878

Thanks Simon I will contact councillor Anderson to share my views, yes I read the parks strategy and saw that there should be some consultation
I will start rabble rousing !!

J B

28 May 2018 10:28 #3879

Agreed Finsbury Park gets a bad deal from Haringey often turned into a desert or mud bath dependant on the weather at wireless time, Ally Pally not so much as I lived at the foot of it for many years and mostly no massive knock on effect on residents, only the fireworks really caused disruption but think lots of the locals were proud to have the best fireworks in town,

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.765 seconds