pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: An impressive addition to the PG skyline?

Use this section to discuss planning and development topics that do not have their own section

An impressive addition to the PG skyline?

Basil Clarke

22 Jan 2020 22:20 #5154

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

I'm probably in a minority of one on this one, but I think that the crane on the Fox building site is a rather impressive addition to the Palmers Green skyline. If only I could see the view from the operator's cab!

Judging by the artists' impressions, I'll probably be less enamoured of the appearance of the new blocks of flats.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bill Linton

23 Jan 2020 10:34 #5158

I was looking at this crane yesterday too, and firstly marvelling at its ability to lift presumably quite heavy weights despite its distinctly rickety appearance - no doubt all the potential stresses and strains are carefully calculated and it is stronger than it looks.
Then I got to wondering how it got there. It clearly couldn't be transported complete (and if it was you'd need another crane to erect it) so it must have been brought in in sections and put together in situ - and again I would have thought that would need another crane to help with the erecting and where did that come from....
Must have been done quite quickly, too, as I never saw it half done.

Chris Evans

23 Jan 2020 10:36 #5159

Make that a minority of two! The crane is certainly very striking and I have found it interesting looking at it from our back windows. It made me think more about the geography of Palmers Green, as it does not appear where I would expect it. I'm also with you that what it is helping to create will not be a great addition to the area from an aesthetic point of view - the new building will be too tall! Although I guess all those new flats should at least help with the housing crisis and the younger people who are most affected by this.

Darren Edgar

23 Jan 2020 11:14 #5161

Have loved seeing this development go up. Area starved of decent affordable residential accommodation and compared to what could have been provided it is quite tastefully done (red bricks are an expensive way to clad!). Glad the objectors couldn't kill off the rejuvenation of what has been an absolute dog for at least the 10 years I've lived in the area.

Basil Clarke

23 Jan 2020 12:45 #5162

Bill Linton wrote:

I was looking at this crane yesterday too, and firstly marvelling at its ability to lift presumably quite heavy weights despite its distinctly rickety appearance - no doubt all the potential stresses and strains are carefully calculated and it is stronger than it looks.
Then I got to wondering how it got there. It clearly couldn't be transported complete (and if it was you'd need another crane to erect it) so it must have been brought in in sections and put together in situ - and again I would have thought that would need another crane to help with the erecting and where did that come from....
Must have been done quite quickly, too, as I never saw it half done.

The cranes are quite small when delivered, but put on height quickly on a nutritious diet of Ready-Brek and growth hormone washed down with copious quantities of Irn-Bru.

Garry Humphreys

25 Mar 2021 13:03 #5944

Here's one of several videos on YouTube showing how tower cranes are erected:
- still pretty amazing, though (not least those chaps on high bolting the thing together)!

Watching it actually happen might be even more fascinating than the video.

PGC Webmaster

31 Mar 2021 19:54 #5950

A week after I confidently reported that the crane would be removed last Thursday, it's still there. Judging from an official notice, the crane's last day in PG will be on or after 12th April. However, the notice says that Fox Lane will be closed for for approximately 70 metres eastwards from the junction with Green Lanes!

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.750 seconds