pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Planned new Aldermans Hill coffee shop applying for alcohol licence

Use this section to discuss planning and development topics that do not have their own section

Planned new Aldermans Hill coffee shop applying for alcohol licence

PGC Webmaster

11 Aug 2015 20:27 #1465

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

A resident of the Lakes Estate has contacted us with...

A resident of the Lakes Estate has contacted us with information about a notice posted outside the former Anthony Webb shop in Aldermans Hill.

I just wondered if residents on the Lakes Estate are aware of the new planning notice in the window of the premises on the corner of Lakeside Road and Aldermans Hall? Anthony Webb were there briefly, but the new owner (who has stated that it will be a coffee house) has now applied for a licence for alcohol, music and TV.   I wonder if the second licence is actually trying to establish it as a bar. A cafe is fine but I suspect a lot of residents might feel a bar is not ,as it is very close to residential streets and the park. if only it could be a bakery, or a butchers. That’s what we really need.

There are 28 days to contest according to the planning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Colin Younger

11 Aug 2015 20:58 #1466

Thanks to the resident who first noticed this. There are issues about the timing of this which need exploring, quite apart from the idea itself.

Lakeside Road residents are now considering our next steps.

G Mo

12 Aug 2015 09:25 #1468

I asked the café if this was normal procedure for a café/coffee shop & he said that he doesn't need this type of licence for their service. Please be aware that this is a totally different regime than planning. Licensing applications have to meet different criteria. Enfield website states:

Local residents and businesses can object to applications for premises licences under one or more licensing objectives, which are :

•Prevention of crime and disorder
•Promotion of public safety
•Prevention of public nuisance
•Protection of children from harm

You will notice this is difficult to comment on before the nature of the premises is known.

According to the date of the notice, the 28 days has almost expired even though the notice was only displayed yesterday.

The Planning application for the change of use to a café could control the hours of opening. I hope the planning officers will have included this in their consideration?????

I would feel very nervous walking home from the station at night having to pass by drinkers sitting at the pavement tables. (Where will the smoking area be?) Unfortunately, it may have to open first to see how it is managed. That is why the conditions on the Planning app for change of use may be more relevant in controlling the hours.

Andrew Nix

13 Aug 2015 00:35 #1473

Ahh the problems of the Lake roads!

George Georgiou

14 Aug 2015 15:33 #1488

As the freeholder of the shop in question I can assure everyone that it is not the intention to create a danger or nuisance. It will indeed become a coffee shop "plus" and is expected to become a useful and much needed amenity which will enhance the area. It will certainly not become a pub or wine bar, though wine may sometimes supplement their offerings (no one complains of wine being served in restaurants), and operations will not continue till late in the evening.

It is not my place to explain the new owners' plans, which should becomes manifest in the next few weeks, but I will request that they display some kind of information board in the shop whilst modifications are being made inside.
That they have not already done so is purely because the new lease has only just been completed.

Colin Younger

14 Aug 2015 16:01 #1489

Hi George,
The problem it's not with what is being described as the concept but matching this with the extent of the premises licence application and the amount of outside use being applied for.
Once such a broad licence is granted for the premises and the outside area there's nothing to stop a very different operation facing residents.
Colin

George Georgiou

14 Aug 2015 16:54 #1490

Hi Colin,
I can understand your concerns in the absence of detailed information. I too would be concerned for the sake of my residential tenants in the flats above so I have had certain protections built into the lease, regardless of whatever planning consent or licences might be granted.
As for the amount of outside space they have applied for no more than other establishments on the road already have.

Colin Younger

14 Aug 2015 17:18 #1491

Interesting that you are asking for additional protection. The thing is that the on line licence application does give details about hours and types of activity. What are indoor sports by the way?
Does anywhere else on Aldermans Hill or Green Lanes have such a large area for eating and drinking on the pavement?
I'll leave it there I think.
This is written as a resident of Lakeside Road.
Colin

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.739 seconds