pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Fox lane

Fox lane

Ann Jones

20 Dec 2019 00:24 #5059

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

I am absolutely shocked by the bias on this forum that has arbitrarily closed down opposition to the proposed scheme for Fox Lane. You leave a false narrative that residents are saying yes to the scheme when there is widespread opposition to it. You do not represent us. And why the fake news?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fox lane

PGC Webmaster

20 Dec 2019 00:47 #5060

Ann Jones wrote:

I am absolutely shocked by the bias on this forum that has arbitrarily closed down opposition to the proposed scheme for Fox Lane. You leave a false narrative that residents are saying yes to the scheme when there is widespread opposition to it. You do not represent us. And why the fake news?

No-one is denying that there is widespread opposition to the low-traffic neighbourhood plans and you couldn't possibly come to that conclusion by reading what has been posted in the forums. But there are also many people who support them, including the people who created and distributed the leaflets. It is not fake news to report the residents' campaign and there is absolutely no connection with the council. There is a network of supporters with representatives of various streets.

The reason for locking the earlier discussion was not "arbitrary":

1. All arguments against and for the plans had been made - there is no point just repeating them endlessly

2. We don't know what changes the council are planning, when we do know I will reopen the discussions, a point which I made very clearly but you seem to have ignored. It seems certain that the original plan to have entrance/exit only via Fox Lane will be abandoned and there will be more ways in and out. Once we know what they are, we can start discussing the pros and cons again.

Just writing "everyone is against it" is not an argument, and it's not true anyway. The discussion has to be about the problems and the solutions that the proposals would create. You might see only problems, but there are people who see the plans as solutions.

There is no false narrative or fake news. If you read the forum comments you will see everything from very strong opposition to very strong support. No-one could read the forum comments and conclude that everyone is in favour, but nor could they conclude that no-one is in favour. So the forum presents an accurate picture of the range of views.

All views about the scheme are represented on the forum and I'm not trying to represent any sidein the argument. I'm providing a forum for reasoned discussion and I haven't joined in the discussion myself. There are reasoned arguments for and against.

Please be assured that people will be able to criticise the plans on this forum when we know what they are. But only using reasoned arguments, not just saying "they'll be disastrous". You'll be welcome to join in, but not if you persist in accusing me of bias and fake news.

Fox lane

Adrian Day

20 Dec 2019 10:10 #5061

Ann Jones

I agree there are those who oppose the proposed scheme (indeed the group of residents behind the press release are suggesting another option), but in many streets, especially those with large volumes of traffic such as Old Park Road you should know there is widespread support for a Low Traffic Neighbourhood. There is a group of us who have been campaigning for the same for over 15 years. Much of the opposition comes from the quieter roads; one option would be just to close the busy roads to rat runners, but that would be unfair on the former. And there is nothing fake about our support - we would be pleased to meet you to show we are real and our views are very strongly held.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.710 seconds