pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: A 'dashboard' showing traffic volumes and speeds in the Fox Lane area

A 'dashboard' showing traffic volumes and speeds in the Fox Lane area

Neil Littman

31 Jan 2020 09:51 #5190

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

David, the latest figures from Cycle Enfield show the number of cycle journeys are plummeting month by month. Even last year they were over 35% higher and the weather is very mild for winter. Some months are 50% down on last year. The only other thought it whether cyclists are avoiding the main routes and data is not being picked up as a result? Hertford Road and Fore Street are almost devoid of cyclists as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Karl Brown

31 Jan 2020 10:03 #5191

....... seem to be more of those electric scooter things though. After being prompted by the cycle lane introduction i did spend a year navigating Fox Lane to get to Southgate before finally concluding i was no longer prepared to take the risk, locked the bike away in the shed and now walk / bus instead.

Darren Edgar

31 Jan 2020 10:18 #5195

Is there a cycle scheme on Fore Street? Conscious it's not part of the EMH scheme running from PG to Enfield. Though I try my best to avoid Edmonton if possible....

David Berkovitch

31 Jan 2020 15:18 #5196

Not sure why a cyclist would want more cars on Green Lanes. As a cyclist, I can see the council's current LTN plan funnels a massive amount of displaced traffic onto the already congested green lanes. Traffic comprised of residents going about their daily lives. Traffic that won't magically evaporate. So Green Lanes and the underused cycle lanes will be more even more hazardous.

David Berkovitch

31 Jan 2020 15:22 #5197

Not sure why a cyclist would want more cars on Green Lanes. As a cyclist myself, I can see the council's current LTN plan funnels a massive amount of displaced traffic onto the already congested green lanes. Traffic in part comprised of residents going about their daily lives - school drop offs etc. Traffic that won't magically evaporate. So Green Lanes and the woefully unused cycle lanes will be more even more hazardous.

Darren Edgar

31 Jan 2020 16:41 #5199

1) Green Lane have segregated cycle lanes for cyclists (and scooterists!) so extra vehicular traffic shouldn't be too much of an issue...
2) Didn't the traffic show that a large proportion of the LTN traffic was not, in fact, local residents "going about their business". It was actually people cutting through between Fox/Bourne and Aldermans.

Neil Littman

31 Jan 2020 20:56 #5200

There certainly is. It goes from a couple of hundred yards from the junction with the North Circular to Edmonton Green and then up the Hertford Road. The Fore St section is a mixture of marked lanes (no dividers), some bits on the pavement as shared spaces and bus boarders and it weaves in and out not always in a straight line. At Edmonton Green is the famous Dutch style circular junction and from there it heads up Hertford Road again, without dividers. As a consequence cars are often parked on the lanes especially where the wedding venues are located and since much of this is at night there is little of no visible enforcement. It cost a bit less than the scheme in Green Lanes but is a white elephant because there was never that much cycle commuting in the first place and nothing like the scale of Palmers Green.

Darren Edgar

03 Feb 2020 11:35 #5201

Interesting. As I say, I tend to avoid the area as much as possible so hadn't seen it myself. Wonder in Enfield actually paid for that one, unlike EMH, or whether it was centrally funded by TfL as well....

Sounds a bit rubbish, tbh, as a scheme...

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.689 seconds