pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Bowes low-traffic neighbourhood work starts amid protests

Bowes low-traffic neighbourhood work starts amid protests

Karl Brown

31 Aug 2020 09:14 #5505

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

LTN reporting on BBC London News, 18:50 on 30 August, with a particular focus on Greenwich (available on the BBC I player), also a longer report on Radio 4’s From Our Home Correspondent, starting at about 11:05 on 25 August (available via BBC Sounds). Both are balanced in approach and highlight the extensive UK wide approach now being implemented. ”Designed to be part of longer term changes in how we use public space”.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Adrian Day

31 Aug 2020 18:47 #5507

The best form of consultation is to run an actual trial so people can gauge the effects and make informed opinions based on real experience (rather than second-guessing what will happen from a flat plan). Every resident in Bowes will be able to feedback through the Council consultation - and amendments can be made accordingly. The principles of an LTN mean that every property is accessible by vehicles, but that rat runners cannot cut through. And walking, cycling and people using mobility aids as well as those living in the streets experience a much safer, quieter and less-polluted environment. The people of Bowes are fortunate to be selected for an LTN - residents of many other areas are crying out for one but funds are running dry.

PGC Webmaster

31 Aug 2020 19:45 #5508

A very clear explanation of the trial low-traffic neighbourhood and the reasons for it. The only thing missing from it is any clue as to whether or not phase 2 will be funded, bringing Brownlow Road into the scheme.

Carol Robson

03 Sep 2020 23:25 #5511

Bowes residents’ response to Ian Barnes video update regarding live trial of LTN

Adrian Day

04 Sep 2020 12:39 #5512

I don't believe there is any evidence that a majority of residents within the LTN area don't support a trial as no-one to my knowledge has done a poll?

PGC Webmaster

05 Sep 2020 22:59 #5518

I asked Ian Barnes to comment on the Bounds & Bowes Voices video (message #5511 above) and received the following:

"I made the video to correct misinformation spread by certain people on social media, so it is obviously disappointing to see a particular group doubling down on their efforts to frighten, worry and confuse the residents of Bowes.

"I do not have the time to sift through every piece of fiction in the B&BV video but let’s just take one example.

"The following claim is made in the video: ‘Haringey Council first learned about the LTN proposals from local residents when we invited them on Friday 14th August to meet representatives from the streets affected.’ This is not true.

"The local Enfield ward Councillors were invited to talk through the plans at a meeting held on Friday 3rd July before relevant Cabinet members and all local Enfield and Haringey ward Councillors were invited to a joint meeting on Tuesday 14th July where we discussed the LTN scheme.

"Added to this is the fact that the excellent Officers from both Councils (who already had a good working relationship) had been corresponding prior to that meeting after we were informed of our successful bid at the end of June. To claim that Enfield Council ‘worked independently of both Haringey and TfL’ is just complete nonsense.

"The residents of Bowes will have the chance to experience the Low Traffic Neighbourhood at first hand during the trial and I am confident that they will feel the benefits of improved air quality and a life free from the dangers of rat-runners, but the consultation will open by the end of this month and I continue to welcome feedback from the entire neighbourhood."

Petition launched: Make sure the Bowes Ward and all Enfield low traffic neighbourhood trials go ahead

PGC Webmaster

06 Sep 2020 00:04 #5519

A petition in favour of the Bowes low-traffic neighbourhood has been launched on change.org.

www.change.org/p/enfield-council-make-sure-the-bowes-ward-and-all-enfield-low-traffic-neighborhood-trial-goes-ahead

Make sure the Bowes Ward and all Enfield low traffic neighborhood trial goes ahead

Enfield council is proposing a trial of LTNs (Low Traffic Neighborhood Scheme), to ensure that traffic and pollution is kept low in our residential areas, and to keep our children safe from speeding rat-runners.

This petition is set up to ensure that this trial scheme goes ahead, and is not disrupted for any outside reason. Without the trial going ahead, the council will lose funding, and the trial will be abandoned, making any future attempt at reducing rat-runners and high speed drivers in our residential neighborhood very unlikely.

This will also make sure that emergency and sanitary vehicles has better access via a camera controlled restriction point, as emergency personnel have pointed out that the current restriction halts their journey.

The purpose of the trial is to ensure that there is enough collected data and consultation from residents throughout the time period set up by the council, if the trial is not allowed to go ahead, traffic will continue to be a growing problem on our residential roads.

Residences have been combating this traffic issue for years, and finally we get a chance to make a change!

Please sign this petition to ensure that we get a trial, and that we can shape our LTNs together!
Attachments:

Neil Littman

10 Sep 2020 20:44 #5537

Only about 263 people participated in a survey on the scheme when the neighbourhood was canvassed about a year ago by Enfield Council. 78% were in favour so fewer than 200 people. Since over 5,000 people live in that part of the Bowes Ward, that is not exactly representational. I am also beginning to wonder how many people actually read this weekly newsletter. When I posted some questions about the Fox Lane QN scheme on Next Door there were over 250 comments within 48 hours and mostly not from the same people.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carol Robson

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.769 seconds