pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Fox Lane quieter neighbourhood: More details

Fox Lane quieter neighbourhood: More details

Adrian Day

29 Nov 2018 14:00 #4254

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

It looks as if there is some reflective material on the edge of the planters? Having said that it's very worrying if people feel they may hit the planters in their vehicle because they are black and don't have reflective material - many (most?) pedestrians crossing at the same place will be in dark clothing and without reflective strips. And they will be moving.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Darren Edgar

30 Nov 2018 09:39 #4255

Neil Littman wrote:

I am not even sure of the legality of the planters. If I were to apply for a skip in the same location the council would require lights. As for painting the planters black and not having any reflective stripes that is incredibly dangerous.

Saw footage from the Mall site yesterday evening (by Cherry Tree) and that white sign on the front with the speed limit on lights up like a christmas tree when lights hit it.

Therefore as long as drivers aren't driving along at night with their headlights off, there'll get a huge bright reflection back at them making the planter impossible to miss.

Colin Younger

30 Nov 2018 10:19 #4256

"...making the planter impossible to miss"? Hopefully easy to avoid! Not many laughs in this thread.

George Georgiou

30 Nov 2018 14:23 #4257

I have no objection to traffic calming but these planters are spectacularly ugly. Also the very large reflective sign is an oxymoron. It should read "KEEP OUT OF OUR STREETS" The planters are certainly not welcoming. Also, having seen the beasts I foresee major problems for large vehicles that have legitimate reasons to be in the road, where the planters are placed at the entrance. Lorries have a very wide turning circle and often have difficulties even where there are no obstructions. In particular, has the Fire Service even been consulted? I would have expected at a minimum that there would be some testing before implementation. A phased roll-out is no substitute.

Colin Younger

30 Nov 2018 17:05 #4259

See the traffic flow figures for the Fox Lane QN

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

George Georgiou

30 Nov 2018 18:50 #4260

It's amusing to see that six hundred more cars exited Old Park Road than entered. Only a fraction of that number could have been parked before the monitoring period. Perhaps there is a secret car plant there.

George Georgiou

30 Nov 2018 19:34 #4261

Of course I may have mischievously misinterpreted the data. These roads are all tributaries of Fox Lane (apart from Fox Lane itself). The description says" the information shows origin and destination data". So the IN column shows vehicles (presumably all types of vehicle) entering Old Park Road from Fox Lane and the OUT column shows vehicles exiting into Fox Lane. Or perhaps the IN column shows vehicles entering Fox Lane from Old Park Road and the OUT vehicles leaving Fox Lane and going into Old Park Road.
Who knows? The table's sloppy language does not help.

Adrian Day

30 Nov 2018 19:42 #4262

I also found those columns confusing, George. My guess is that the 'in' and 'out' refers to entering and exiting the QN area - so in OPR's case it's the junction with Alderman's Hill. Either way, well over 2000 vehicle movements up and down a residential street in a 12 hour period is shocking. And from direct observation (including with a Met Police speed gun) many of those vehicles are speeding, some excessively.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.682 seconds