pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Fox Lane quieter neighbourhood: More details

Fox Lane quieter neighbourhood: More details

Darren Edgar

10 Dec 2018 16:47 #4281

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Elaine Hall-Freeman wrote:

Why bother complaining? You know the Council will do as they jolly well like, regardless of anything we say. You don’t have to be speeding to come in contact with another vehicle or the planter. Not every driver lives in the area. That corner has always been tricky, regardless of speed. Try waiting to get around the corner while one of the many big 4x4s hog the road. As for the colour? I can just hear our illustrious Councillors, “Paint it dark! The more contacts, the more ammunition for our plans to rid Londoners of their cars altogether! Ha, ha ha!” The ‘Machine’ gets their way again!!!

Interesting post. Have you read anything in this thread?! During the day they are no darker than an average car, or, wait for it, pedestrian crossing the road; and at night they are bright white and impossible to miss unless negligent.

What do the police, highways agency and highway code all say about driving in "tricky" conditions? Slow down! Take your time and drive at an appropriate speed when you have sufficient control of your vehicle. If you are an incompetent driver and can't help but crash into things , you are to blame, not street furniture.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Phillips

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chris Bushill

13 Dec 2018 10:05 #4293

Disagree about The Mall planter. Support the principle but feel it obstructs entry to shops and makes the crossing much more difficult for pedestrians especially people with children going to school in the morning (me). Think the planter would be better placed after the entrance to the Cherry Tree car park.

PS Shouldn't it say 'Not welcome in our street'!

Darren Edgar

13 Dec 2018 10:25 #4294

How does it obstruct entry to shops? It's not outside any?

Can see it being a tricky corner to cross on, though never ideal, whilst moving it further up the Mall would make crossing easier (back to normal) I think it would make the planter/its purpose redundant.

Darren Edgar

13 Dec 2018 11:04 #4295

Chris Bushill wrote:

makes the crossing much more difficult for pedestrians especially people with children going to school in the morning (me).

Just thinking, (whilst Council may never want the cost, hence this cheapo solution), but wonder whether the footfall would be sufficient to justify a zebra crossing??

Would make it a LOT safer to cross and also act as a bit of a traffic calming measure. Aid connectivity to the parade from the resi areas to the north too - possibly to the added benefit of encouraging walking/cycle as opposed to short car trips. Ditto towards the schools further south.

David Hughes

13 Dec 2018 21:38 #4296

Interesting that David E. has tentatively suggested a zebra crossing because the Council is to trial a similar suggestion for the The Mall/Amberley Road junction, with a view to creating a zebra crossing on all the Fox Lane junctions. Personally I'm not sure I want all that white stuff on the roads because I feel that the place where you live should be as visually attractive as the setting will allow, but if we can persuade drivers to form a slow driving habit in QNs perhaps its worth a try.

To me its amazing that any driver can think its appropriate to exceed 20kph ( I use the metric figures because its slower than 20mph, but also because it is the country's official system) in a purely residential area leading from nowhere to nowhere, but maybe the increase of areas like this plus the presence of kids on the streets will eventually create different driving habits

David Hughes

23 Dec 2018 20:39 #4327

This morning noticed that the Planter at the Fox Lane end of The Mall seemed to have been hit by a vehicle or vandalized. I couldn't take a good look because I was driving; not something I do very often. But since it had been moved quite a bit I'd guess at 'being hit'.

David Hughes

01 Jan 2019 15:24 #4330

This morning discovered that the Planter at the other end of The Mall (Southgate Green) had been moved quite a bit; in fact in much the same way as the Planter at the Fox Lane end. Following close inspection it seems certain that they both had been moved (by being hit by a vehicle?). Meanwhile a steady flow of cars was passing along the street and across to Amberley Road.

Darren Edgar

03 Jan 2019 12:51 #4332

Yes, went through the Mall (and Selborne) yesterday, Mall definitely looks to have shifted Southgate Green side.

Must be impact as they must weigh a tonne, be very hard to move otherwise. Just another useless driver I'm guessing. They are easy to say and not hard to work around unless you are reckless.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.814 seconds