pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Speed Cameras Bourne Hill

Speed Cameras Bourne Hill

Meb Khatri

04 Feb 2015 09:21 #865

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

I have notice new speed cameras on Bourne Hill as we head towards Southgate Station. The old one were probably disused for years and given that I hear the council have no money, I am suprised at seeing this. Does anyone have any information on this matter?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Karl Brown

04 Feb 2015 13:26 #866

Perhaps the authorities are simply seeking to manage the oft reckless driving at a black spot outside the main entrance of one of the Borough's top parks. Me, I'd be happy if it meant more cars actually stopped to let you walk across the new zebra which is placed right below the camera.

David Hughes

04 Feb 2015 16:52 #867

Speaking as a cyclist for the moment (see my series 'The view from the Saddle' on this site) anything which encourages drivers to respect the needs of other road users is welcome, though I'd much prefer calming measures to cameras because they can be constructed to be part of the street scene. At a spot like this - on a through road giving access to a park - Haringey has created severe humps either side of an attractive brick path - instead of zebra crossing - across the carriageway. Excellent, you exceed 20kph at the peril of your car.

Worth noting that a car park at this spot has recently been replaced with houses, that there are big housing estates giving access to the crossing here. If ever there was a place where the often very high speed needs to be calmed this is it.

For a cyclist it's one of the most frightening places locally because cars come sweeping down the hills on either side of the narrowed carriageway at the crossing. One of these days someone on a bike will pay the price unless speed is controlled, which would not be a good advert for a council currently trying to get people to cycle.

David March

04 Feb 2015 23:13 #871

I saw this work being done . . . and about time too!
I have seen a number of near misses with pedestrians attempting to cross into the park . . . and I agree with David H - its quite a challenge cycling along here with cars chomping at the bit behind you. Mind you, in the morning rush, the traffic is often virtually at a standstill and backs up from Southgate.

Andrew Nix

06 Feb 2015 22:44 #886

I didn't think the council did speed cameras. I thought it was the Highways Agency.

Paul Mandel

07 Feb 2015 01:50 #889

Actually speed cameras in London are now manged by TfL. If you, as a the Borough or TfL engineer want to slow traffic down at one point, the camera by the entrance to Grovelands Park makes sense. Just so that once past bad drivers can pick up speed and race past the far more dangerous spots at the ends of Fox Lane and Broad Walk. But if you want greater safety, improve the junction layouts. Other variables excluded, the busier the junction the more crashes will happen.

As for accident history at the speed camera site. In 2007 there were two slight injury accidents. The casualties in both of thse were car occupants. This was before the zebra crossing was installed. No personal injury accidents there since.

If you are worried about safety, and we all should be, look where you are going and drive, ride. walk safely. Don't rely on nanny government to do it all for you.

Paul Mandel

07 Feb 2015 01:52 #890

Karl said this is a black spot. It is not. See my other post!

Karl Brown

07 Feb 2015 11:59 #893

... and the accidents which led to the decision to install the speed camera which seems to have moved things towards the desired effect were ..
Mind you, three cars driving straight through the new, accompanying zebra the week before last while I waited to cross counts as a blackspot to me irrespective of pre-camera accident levels. Waving my arms finally worked I discovered; maybe that should be suggested in the Highway Code?

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.674 seconds