pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Another serious "accident" in PG

Another serious "accident" in PG

Basil Clarke

05 Aug 2016 22:49 #2233

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Nicola Hutchinson wrote:

As far as I was aware the quieter neighbourhoods project has been scrapped unless you know something different? Apparently the new environment councillor has decided to scrap this and see what happens after cycle Enfield was implemented which I don't find particularly helpful. If anything I worry that the problem is just going to get worse with cars rat running and speeding around quieter residential roads.

My understanding is that Quieter Neighbourhoods are on hold because they depend on the cycle lanes going ahead along main roads. They were an integral part of the original Mini Holland bid to the Mayor of London, though at the time they were referred to as "residential cells" or something similar.

See these two earlier discussions:

www.pgweb.uk/forum/quieter-neighbourhoods/434-quieter-neighbourhoods-on-hold#1778

www.pgweb.uk/forum/quieter-neighbourhoods/416-lakes-estate-quieter-neighbourhood-at-risk#1691

They are an integral part of the Mini Holland concept. As you say, if we had cycle lanes without quieter neighbourhoods there is a risk of increased rat running through residential streets.

Work on designing quieter neighbourhoods was progressing quite well at one stage. I was involved in the Connaught Gardens scheme, which mainly involved measures to stop rat running along Connaught Gardens/Hazelwood Lane/Callard Avenue/Chimes Avenue. However, because of the fuss kicked up by anti-cycle lanes campaigners, the council decided to put it on hold. They won't get the money for the quieter neighbourhoods unless it's certain that the cycle lanes will go ahead - and in view of the legal action taken by Save our Green Lanes, they still haven't got that certainty.

Having visited the Walthamstow Village Mini Holland scheme, which has transformed noisy, polluted and dangerous roads into peaceful neighbourhoods, I now think that we weren't being sufficiently ambitious with the Connaught Gardens scheme, and I hope that if and when it is restarted we can look at something much more radical.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hal Haines

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.575 seconds