facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Car crashes into Starfish cafe on Aldermans Hill

Car crashes into Starfish cafe on Aldermans Hill

PGC Webmaster

14 May 2019 23:00 #4627

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

[Original article]

car crash starfish palmers green 14 May 2019a

Facebook users have posted photographs and comments after a driver lost control, mounted the pavement and crashed into Starfish on Aldermans Hill early this afternoon, causing serious damage to the building.

There are conflicting reports about injuries: one post says that a woman was taken to hospital in an ambulance, another, quoting a police officer, that no-one was injured.  Another Facebook user said that the driver was an elderly man who was trying to park and put his foot on the accelerator instead of the brake.

Photograph: David March

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Neil Littman

27 Jun 2019 07:47 #4628

I was told last week by a resident of the road where the crash happened (who also owns a business in Winchmore Hill) that the reason for the incident was caused by two vehicles entering the road in opposite directions and one of them trying to avoid the planter at the end which is going to be removed.

Karl Brown

27 Jun 2019 10:05 #4631

.... but why drive into a shop some little distance away, narrowly missing one table-full of diners and putting another in hospital, to "avoid a planter"? Perhaps the use of brakes, steering wheel, or even in extremis, boshing the planter rather than putting others and things at considerable risk.

Maybe a little scepticism is due before that one becomes an urban myth.

Darren Edgar

27 Jun 2019 11:21 #4636

In the nicest possible way, that story sounds complete and utter horse doodie. Anti-planter PR job. Literally makes no sense at all unless the white car that crashed was speeding so fast heading towards Aldermans' Hill that its evasive action took it into the side of Starfish. No car entering the side road could have ended up in Starfish that way, no matter the speed or direction of travel.

Reports at the time were of an old duffer with the classic pedal mix up too old to react and correct quickly enough. Much more likely.

Karl Brown

27 Jun 2019 11:41 #4637

I heard (s)he was swerving to avoid a cyclist riding on the pavement, having just left the road accidentally due to being temporarily blinded by the sun's glare reflecting off the strips on the planter. But I might have just made that up.

Dru Loizou

27 Jun 2019 12:21 #4638

David’s right. It was a simple case of pedal mix up while the elderly chap was trying to park his car. That was confirmed by Aykut, the owner of Starfish, who I spoke to shortly after the crash. Nothing to do with the planter - ignore, just silly rumours.

Darren Edgar

27 Jun 2019 14:39 #4639

Karl Brown wrote:

I heard (s)he was swerving to avoid a cyclist riding on the pavement, having just left the road accidentally due to being temporarily blinded by the sun's glare reflecting off the strips on the planter. But I might have just made that up.

Hahaha!! +1

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.772 seconds