pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: My Liveable London gets personal

My Liveable London gets personal

PGC Webmaster

23 Apr 2018 12:41 #3800

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

[Original article]

The My Liveable London campaign has moved into a new phase - asking everyone who supports its aims to email all candidates standing in their ward urging them to respond positively to the campaign's challenge to local politicians.

my liveable london logo lls lcc logos combined

Help make a city where everyone can walk and cycle safely and happily.

Imagine a truly Liveable London. A city where:

• It’s enjoyable to walk and cycle your local trips
  • You can breathe fresh air on streets free from congestion
  • Children can safely roam, and walk and cycle to school
  • There are relaxing places to stop, rest and talk to your neighbours

Your local council can have a big impact on your streets. They can help create places where our families, friends and communities are put first, and where motor traffic, pollution and congestion don’t dominate our streets. Where everyone can live well, breathe easy, walk and cycle safely and happily.

With the council elections at the start of May, now is the moment to tell your next council leader you want them to help bring your borough to life.

Tell your candidates that you want a more Liveable London.

email your candidates today 1

my liveable london logo

In the first phase of the campaign local branches of London Living Streets and London Cycling Campaign wrote to leaders of political parties in their borough asking them to pledge to take action.

In our borough Better Streets for Enfield wrote to leaders of the Labour, Conservative, Green and Liberal Democrat parties asking them to sign up to a list of Enfield-specific pledges.  The Greens were first to respond:

Enfield Green Party are committed to making Enfield’s streets cleaner, safer and healthier for residents. We believe streets are for people, not traffic. The space has to be shared but on residential streets residents should come first. We are delighted to support the Better Streets for Enfield campaign and to pledge our support for the creation of people-friendly streets throughout Enfield.

Enfield Green Party has also responded separately to the London-wide My Liveable London campaign:

Dear Fran,

I am writing to you to confirm that Enfield Green Party and its 24 candidates in 20 of the wards in our council elections pledge to campaign for our new council to submit a high-quality Liveable Neighbourhood bid.

Indeed the creation of Low-traffic Neighbourhoods is the lead item in our Ward and Borough Newsletters (See attached copies)

Yours faithfully

Alex McRae & Kate McGeevor

Co-Chairs
Enfield Green Party

Labour also wrote back to Better Streets for Enfield:

On behalf of the Labour Party I am delighted to sign up to these commitments. All being well, on May 4th, the next Labour Administration:

1) Will seek to progress our first Liveable Neighbourhood bid to go forward later this year;

2) Will remain committed to the continuing rollout of our Quieter Neighbourhood Programme, which seeks to make our streets quieter and safer for residents; and,

3) Will continue to progress our Cycle Enfield Programme, which is about transforming our high streets and town centres, promoting more active travel, and creating safe and secure cycle lanes. We have demonstrated our commitment with practice not just words with the completion of the A105 cycle lanes and are now progressing works on the A1010 South.

No response was received from the Conservatives or Lib Dems, but on the basis of their campaigning literature Better Streets have concluded that neither party supports any of the pledges, since they both express opposition to the current Cycle Enfield schemes - indeed, the Lib Dems have gone so far as to describe them as "disastrous".

This article was edited on 25th April to correct a factual error.  The term used by the Lib Dems in their press release was "disastrous", not "catastrophic".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cycle Enfield - the Lib Dem view

PGC Webmaster

25 Apr 2018 20:42 #3801

This is what the Lib Dems say about Cycle Enfield in the transport section of their manifesto ( enfield.nationbuilder.com/transport ):

We believe that Labour's bungled Cycle Enfield scheme has unnecessarily damaged local businesses, ignored the concerns of local people, and failed to encourage local residents to take up cycling.  The purpose was to tackle the dangerous levels of air pollution but increased congestion leads to poorer air quality. Here's our vision for Enfield:
  • Cycle lanes need to be designed in cooperation with local communities, not imposed upon them by the council. Cycle Enfield was implemented in a way that frustrated many local residents and has set back the cause of cycling in Enfield. As the project is now being rolled out on the Hertford Road, it seems Labour have learned nothing from this failure.
  • There are serious safety concerns along the route. Lib Dems would make fixing these an urgent council priority. We want to see a safety audit of the entire route straight away.
  • To reduce the burden on businesses and local residents when projects such as Cycle Enfield are being built, we need to provide extra parking in areas where construction is underway. Disabled parking must be a focus.
  • The existing scheme does little to encourage and assist cyclists. Cycle lanes should not be built in roads where they could worsen congestion, as this exacerbates conflict and air pollution. We will plan and develop scenic alternatives, running through green spaces and on riverside routes, are far better for both cyclists and motorists.
  • We will build a cycling network connecting schools on safe, clean and quieter streets, incorporating green spaces where possible. This will help tackle childhood obesity and encourage our next generation to adopt a sustainable and healthy cycling culture.
  • We are committed to working with TfL to ensure that the money they are investing into our vision will not be tied up with wasteful remedial work to fix problems caused by poor council planning and implementation.
  • Cycle Enfield has eaten up much discretionary transport spending, which is inexcusable given the poor results. We request a full audit of the project to find out where our money is being spent.
  • Labour are now launching an expensive Quieter Neighbourhoods programme to help tackle the rat-runs that Cycle Enfield has created. Labour wasting more of your money!

Cycle Enfield - the Lib Dem view

Darren Edgar

26 Apr 2018 10:03 #3803

DIsgusting. Was great to see them get absolutely roasted on Twitter over this.

As THE anti-Brexit party, that's my vote gone, hopeless igorant populist tosh, looks like it's my first time voting Green....

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.776 seconds