202010 halloween cookalong

Share this article

If you are a resident of the Conservation Area, you will have your own reasons why your home is special to you. Designation as a Conservation Area is a wider recognition of the historic and architectural importance of the area to which your property makes its own contribution. To help preserve this, you have to apply for planning permission before making some smaller changes to your property which might otherwise have been classified as "permitted developments".  Specifically, you will have to apply for planning permission for the any of the changes listed in the box below:

If your property is in a Conservation Area, you will have to apply for permission for the following:

  • Enlargement, improvement or alteration of any house or building
  • Replacement of external doors or windows
  • Any alteration to the roof, including loft conversions and roof lights
  • Construction of porches
  • Laying of hard surfaces around the house (especially in front gardens)
  • Provision of any building or enclosure, swimming pool or a container used for domestic heating purposes
  • Installation, alteration or replacement of chimney flue or pipe
  • Installation, alteration or replacement of satellite dishes
  • Demolition or changes to the existing front boundary, gates, walls or fences
  • Painting of the exterior of any external building wall
  • Work on trees, whether or not they are subject to a Tree Preservaton Order.

Planning permission is already required for solar panels on house walls. Enfield Council is currently drafting an amendment to the Lakes Article 4 (2) direction to add micro-regeneration to the list of changes which need specific planning permission. The details will be posted on the website when it is ready for public consultation.

You can download a Guide for Owners and Occupiers.  If you are contemplating any work which falls in to the above categories, you and/or your Builders and Architects should read this, the Character Appraisal, and the Article 4 (2) direction for guidance.

The Character Appraisal lists particular threats to the area which should be avoided. Planning applications which take this into account are more likely to be successful than those which ignore it. 

More detailed guidance about work on listed buildings and buildings in conservation areas can be found in the Planning and Conservation Guidance Notes.

Do I have to pay for planning applications in a Conservation Area?

The government increased planning application fees from 17 Jan 2018 and removed some exemptions. The fee exemption for Article 4 directions is no longer valid for applications in England. Works to trees in conservation areas is still exempt.

Status of this information

This note has been prepared by the Friends of the Lakes Estate Conservation Area . We are local residents who assist Enfield Council in commenting on conservation issue affecting the Conservation Area, taking our lead from the Lakes Estate Conservation Area Character Appraisal (see above).

This note reflects the group's understanding of the current (October 2016) position. The Friends of the Lakes Estate Conservation Area bear no responsibility or liability if the above content is relied upon in individual cases.

Log in to comment

Elaine Beckford Stennett's Avatar
Elaine Beckford Stennett posted a reply #5295 18 Mar 2020 10:23
Just a quick question. I live on Conway Road. I would like to replace the original black and white tiles to path and porch and remove paint from exterior building wall. Would I have to apply for planning to do this? Thanks.

David Eden's Avatar
David Eden posted a reply #5296 18 Mar 2020 12:05
Good luck with all that. None of that work should require planning permission but you may have to get the CAG on board as they'll kick off if not consulted and could cause you difficulties.
Adrian Day's Avatar
Adrian Day posted a reply #5297 18 Mar 2020 12:16
Yes, Elaine. As you live in a Conservation Area you would need permission from the Council to make changes to the path and porch (as mentioned above).

Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

See also...

  • 10 June 2020
Beware: Rogue tree surgeons at work!

In response to a complaint from the Friends of the Lakes Estate Conservation Area about unauthorised tree surgery, an Enfield council officer has written warning against scams operated by rogue tree surgeons - in this case, by a firm called Acacia Tree Surgery. Read more

  • 28 October 2019
Civic Trust restates opposition to Southgate Office Village redevelopment proposals

Southgate District Civic Trust has restated its commitment to fight proposals for a development incorporating three towers, including one 17 storeys high, close to the Southgate Circus Conservation Area, and has launched a campaign to raise money to help it argue its case at a planning panel to be held next month. Revised proposals submitted by the developer last week include a reduction in the height of the towers, but not by a large enough amount to satisfy opponents. Read more

  • 17 July 2019
Southgate pub demolished illegally

Southgate District Civic Trust have reported that a pub in the Southgate Circus conservation area has been demolished without planning permission having been obtained. Read more

Subscribe to the weekly newsletter

Enter email then copy the letters in the captcha box


By submitting this form you agree that Palmers Green Community can send you a weekly email newsletter and store your email address

You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link at the bottom of every newsletter